Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What hairdressers should never say...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
phil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What hairdressers should never say...
    Posted: February 27 2002 at 5:05pm
I was at the hairdressers the other day and one of the clients said to her: Do you ever get tired of your job?" Her reply surprised me: "Oh, it`s all right, I just go on auto-pilot!!"
Oh, really! In that case, I might as well get a robot to do it! OK so men`s hair might not be quite as exciting as womens` but I was under the impression that she was at least attempting a bit of creativity. Obviously not - well she`s a nice person and maybe a bit too honest, but I won`t be going to her again.
phil
dianefromcanada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2002 at 10:22pm
lol lol you always seem to find these interesting situations Phil. Yeah, I wouldn`t want to go there again. Who knows she might have meant something else. Most of the time their jobs is very demanding on their backs and they are very tired at the end of the day.
When you hear these things at times it`s funny like the one that I came across that decided to change her career because she couldn`t stand touching hair and said to a bunch of us that she could never. Now you tell me Phil wouldn`t someone like that know if she hates touching hair that she shouldn`t go into hairdressing? lol At the time I thought it was way to funny.
dianefromcanada
Aoecean Glyvxx View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aoecean Glyvxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2002 at 10:39pm
"I AM GOING TO KILL YOU!"-
That is something a hairstylist should never say.
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2002 at 9:12am
Hairdressers should not suggest a new job if you don`t ask for one.
Kevin James View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2002 at 7:43pm
Things a stylist should never say

Oops....was that your ear?
ladykera View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladykera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2002 at 12:58pm
Or:
-you dont mind it being this short, right?
-i just feel like cutting short today, do you mind? (I got whammied on this one)
-have you ever thought of your self as a purple?
-Kera
aka princess of the air force (they just don`t know it yet)
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2003 at 10:49pm
Things people should never say to their hairdresser.
-After telling the client their total price,
"Is that all?"
Hairdresser thinks "Its time to raise the prices"
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
GuyInEdinburgh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuyInEdinburgh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2003 at 4:40pm
While working in the South coast of England, I went to what seemed to be a modern hair salon.

Before I was even sitting in a chair, the stylist asked "You want it cut short, then?"

I ran out of the salon...

demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2003 at 8:36am
How about: "You look like you've put on some weight." I guess they need to take that into consideration when doing hair but please, please don't say it (this happened to me).
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
IndyGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IndyGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2003 at 6:32am
That reminds me...

"Is this your natural hair color, or do you have a vitamin deficiency?"

"Do you normally ask for this style, or did you cut it yourself?"

From a conversation I once overheard:

Stylist: "I see your children have a different hair color from yourself. Are they naturally blonde?"

Client: (laughing) "What? Are their roots showing already?"

reggia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reggia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2003 at 1:48pm
They should not ask, "Who cut your hair last?". That drives me crazy, and only once have I not been asked. Does it really matter? Or is this about securing new clients?

phil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2003 at 9:27am
Yes, and that question is inevitably accompanied by a resigned shrug and a look of pity. What they will NEVER follow it up with is ".....well they did a damn good job!" Dont you just love that which they call "human nature"?
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2003 at 10:47am
Phil, You said;

What they will NEVER follow it up with is ".....well they did a damn good job!"

Hmmmmm...Now you know that I have to Speak UP for "Good and Honest Hair Stylists" everywhere....LOL. NEVER??? >>>>he said in Caps<<<<< Why Phil, I myself have complimented clients on many hair cuts performed by other Stylists.

Some of us don't need new clients ,.....so contrary to popular belief, we don't need to put down another's work in a pathetic attempt to make our selves look better. JMHO.

Cheers.
phil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2003 at 1:33pm
A genuinely altruistic hair stylist! Well it is heartening to know that there are some of you out there, even if IMO you are the exception. I just never seem to come across them, unfortunately. Good for you, anyway!
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2003 at 2:06pm
Sophie is the coolest hair-stylist that I've never met.
Uzi

Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2003 at 2:24pm
I don't know about the Altruistic part, phil.... but the genuine part is something I truly work at.

It saddens me, sometimes, to read how badly many of you have been treated in Salons. I really do know, many great Stylists, I hope they are not the exception.

Gosh Uz, what a great compliment....Thank You! Truly!
reggia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reggia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2003 at 5:28pm
Okay, okay, I have to give credit where it's due.

My teen sons (whose hair I've been trimming for years) have decided that maybe it would be "more cool" to have it done by a professional stylist. Recently one of them got The Question about who last cut his hair, and he answered "my mother". The stylist did say, "Well, she did a very good job!" Of course, I am trying not to read anything else into it.
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2003 at 12:54am
I also compliement a good cut by a previous cutter because it compliments the client choices and decisions. You tell them its bad, it just makes them feel worse if they recieved a bad cut. I don't tell every new client this but give it when I believe it.

Another thing is, and I tell my staff this, never never never ask who cut it because they may feel guilt for leaving that person and saying thier name or being asked that just makes them think about them and feel even more guilty. Begining a service with a new client, the whole world is open for possibilities. To make a new friend, to learn something new about this person. You only have this first chance to make this person feel totally comfortable with you and to trust you, which is Alot more important than a "perfect cut". You cannot always get it exactly right the way they want it the first time, especially with men. But building the relationship first, earning there trust and LISTEN, LISTEN, LISTEN to them. Repeat what they just told you to show them that you understand and clarify anything you do not completetly understand.

Thats what good communication is all about!!
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2003 at 8:37pm
Lili...You're awesome!
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2003 at 9:48pm
Thank you, I think you are pretty incredable yourself!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic