Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your experience with Aveda Products?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Amy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your experience with Aveda Products?
    Posted: May 21 2002 at 12:13am
I have been reading tons of fabulous reviews of various Aveda products - so I thought - try it - there`s no way I can lose. My hair is shoulder length with natural wave/curls and is course and sometimes dry. It also tends to get "poofy" if I don`t use the right products (though I am still searching for just exactly what those are). What I want more than anything is straight"ish", shiny, flat hair that hangs rather than floats around my head. I don`t use any heat styling products and wash my hair in cold water. After reading product reviews on Epinions for Aveda - I ordered the Sap Moss Shampoo and Conditioner, the Pure Fume Brilliant leave-in something something something, Styling Curessence and then some samples of the Elixir, and the conditioning Curessence - in hindsight I think maybe I went a little overboard and my wallet seems to agree. These products are all supposed to help dry hair and make it smooth and shiny. Not only did they not do that - but my hair was bigger and looked worse than it had in a long time. It was unmanagable and just all around blah. I haven`t taken the time to use them one at a time to see which product is the culprit - I am so disillusioned that I just want to chuck the whole lot in the garbage. I am wondering if anyone has any similar results with Aveda products - or any tips on how to use them to get the results I`m craving. Thanks
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2002 at 8:24am
Hey there! I`m sorry you`re frustrated with your hair...believe me, I feel your pain! Our hair sounds very similar. I too go for the stick straight, shiny look, and I can DO it; it`s just taken a LOT of experimentation. That said, this is my advice:

1. Educate yourself on hair care ingredients. The brand of a product is not nearly as important as what`s actually in it. Those ingredient lists on the bottle are your best friend. Learn what all those funky words mean and you can quickly cut through the advertizing doublespeak. A good place to start:
http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/4266/gloss.html
This is a GREAT list of common product ingredients. Not everything is there but I always take it with me when shopping. Find out what works for your hair. People with our hair type can often benefit from silicone derivatives, or words ending in "cone" (dimethicone, cyclomethicone, etc.) Some people don`t like using cones because they can build up. Solution: Deep cleanse with a gentle, effective shampoo once a week.

2. Use a gentle shampoo. Look for sodium laureth sulfate as the detergent ingredient, because it`s one of the mildest out there. Ammonium laureth/lauryl sulfates, the TEAs and sodium LAURYL sulfates are stronger and can dry out your hair with repeated use. Also, don`t wash your hair every day if you can help it.

3. Consider reading Paula Begoun`s book. She`s a consumer advocate author who done a lot of research into hair care. Her book reviews tons of products based upon what`s in them, and you`ll find more expensive doesn`t always mean better. (Although I wouldn`t use Suave on my hair for a million dollars. Well, maybe for a million, but no less....) You`ll also find that many of the products available are almost identical to one another based upon their ingredients. You`ll notice too that there really aren`t any shampoos/conditioners that can straighten your hair, since they don`t stay in your hair after your shower. They can, however, moisturize and smooth the hair cuticle, making your hair flatter and sleeker.

4. Deep condition one a week, if you have the patience. I put in a lot of conditioner, use a heating cap for 15 minutes, then sleep with the conditioner in (romantic, huh?) I REALLY like Aura Almond Cherry Bark conditioner from Sally`s.....very similar to the Aveda product but extremely helpful for my hair. John Frieda`s Frizz Ease Glistening conditioner is FAB on a daily basis....and it`s on sale at Walgreen`s this month :) Also, when you`re in the shower, leave the conditioner on as long as possible.

5. Heating styling is really the only way to really get your hair stick straight and smooth if it`s not naturally that way. Obviously it`s not healthy for your hair, but sometimes a girl`s gotta do what she`s gotta do. I use a paddle brush, some slick gel and a blower dryer on medium-low heat. Works like a charm and it`s straight for three days. No one believes me when I say my hair`s naturally wavy and a frizzball.....they just won`t believe it.

6. Look for a leave-in conditioner with silicone. This can make your hair very shiny (just don`t use too much.) I buy mine from Walmart and it`s called Jhirmack HeatCare. It`s really funky looking....pink and purple but I swear it`s magic. Just don`t overdo it.

7. Remember every reviewer has different hair and different results! :-) Like me. What I do may not work for your hair, and that can explain why others rave about Aveda but you had no luck. Anyway, I`m sorry this post was so long, but I hope it helps you a bit. Good luck! :-)
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
lgp82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lgp82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2002 at 6:49pm
Return them!!!!!
~*~*Lisa*~*~
waggingtail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waggingtail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2002 at 5:59pm
I like some Aveda (Sap Moss Shampoo, but diluted with water first), don`t like others.

It`s so true - that slick straight shiny stuff doesn`t happen unless that`s your hair or you use some kind of "setting" usually with heat...g
Be yourself - unless you suck...wags
Elise View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2002 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by Amy Amy wrote:

I have been reading tons of fabulous reviews of various Aveda products - so I thought - try it - there's no way I can lose. My hair is shoulder length with natural wave/curls and is course and sometimes dry. It also tends to get "poofy" if I don't use the right products (though I am still searching for just exactly what those are). What I want more than anything is straight"ish", shiny, flat hair that hangs rather than floats around my head. I don't use any heat styling products and wash my hair in cold water. After reading product reviews on Epinions for Aveda - I ordered the Sap Moss Shampoo and Conditioner, the Pure Fume Brilliant leave-in something something something, Styling Curessence and then some samples of the Elixir, and the conditioning Curessence - in hindsight I think maybe I went a little overboard and my wallet seems to agree. These products are all supposed to help dry hair and make it smooth and shiny. Not only did they not do that - but my hair was bigger and looked worse than it had in a long time. It was unmanagable and just all around blah. I haven't taken the time to use them one at a time to see which product is the culprit - I am so disillusioned that I just want to chuck the whole lot in the garbage. I am wondering if anyone has any similar results with Aveda products - or any tips on how to use them to get the results I'm craving. Thanks

Aveda`s good, but there are a lot better ones that are a lot cheaper. I WOULDN`T use silicone on your hair, though. It can make the hair very tangly and icky. I like Infusium 23 conditioner the best, and I agree, I`d read Paula Begoun`s book. The price you pay will more than save you that amount of money in products. Salon products are just drugstore products with expensive pricetags! Anyone who tells you differently has a financial interest.

Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2002 at 8:04am
Actually Paula is pro-silicone. She devotes an entire section to extolling its virtues and the "velvety feel" it imparts. Heavy oils and waxes can cause tangly hair, but cyclomethicone, dimethicone, etc, generally do not. It CAN, however, build up since cones are one of the few conditioning agents that do not wash away, so if you`re using a silicone product be sure to deep cleanse once a week. And Elise is right....salon products aren`t the miracle cure especially when many top-dollar products contain the EXACT same ingredients as their proletariat couterparts. (And research shows that there are not different "grades" of ingredients--if the lists are identical, so are the products.) I personally love the beauty supply store--it offers some truly great, quality choices.
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
Kristin177 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristin177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2002 at 3:01pm
IMO, I think Aveda is incredibly over-priced. I bought the Rextexturing gel that I thought was no different than say, Thermasilk gel or Citreshine. The Sap Moss shampoo was much too sweet and made my hair soft and spongy. I wasn`t too impressed with the Cherry Almond Bark conditioner but maybe it was because i was using it with the sap moss shampoo. The only product of theirs I could really rave about is the Universal Styling Creme. A little goes a very long way so you get your $15 worth. And I really like the smell. And it makes your hair soft and shiny and protects it from blow-dryer heat. I like to treat myself to this every now and then. :-)
chamogirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chamogirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2002 at 8:30pm
I only like the Blue Malve shampoo
chamogirl
Kija View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kija Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2002 at 11:57pm
I love the Madder Root shampoo. It makes my hair much more manageable. The Madder Root conditioner also leaves my hair feeling clean and thick without feeling like there`s residue left behind (I can`t stand feeling something on my hair) The only product that ever made my hair as nice as this was a Mastey shampoo and it`s even more expensive. I used to think shampoo`s really didn`t matter much, but after being talked into trying Aveda, I have changed my mind.

However, I tried their Rosemary Mint Conditioner and thought I would never get a comb through my hair again so long as I lived. Felt good though!

amberbella View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amberbella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2002 at 7:00pm
I`ve spent lots and lots of money testing different shampoos and conditioners I`ve read about on this site, the ones that I`m left with as a consistant favorite come from Aveda. Nothing makes my hair feel quite as soft and managable. I use the Brilliant line and also am a big fan of the Sap Moss line and the Cherry Bark Conditioner. I love the different smell of the Aveda products and know that when I use them my hair will thank me. The only other products that make my hair as soft are several days in a row of the Aubrey Honeysuckle, and GPB conditioner. But these tend to spoil quickly.

On a side note, I just bought the Phyto Jojoba Shampoo, and my scalp has NEVER been drier. Weird since my scalp is not naturally dry and it`s supposed to be a moisturizing shampoo. ~~~Just goes to show, different strokes for different hair folks.
wheeler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheeler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2003 at 6:44pm
I've also spent way too much money on Aveda products and I've found the results to not be that pleasing. I've tried a pomade called brilliant and it just made my hair greasy and oily. Personally I just don't like how Aveda products smell also. It's too heavy for me.
Until you value yourself, you will not value your time. Until you value your time, you will not do anything with it.
- M. Scott Peck
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2003 at 7:07pm
Has anyone tried the color infusing conditioners? I am thinking of trying either the black or blue malvo. Do they really "add" color? I have dark brown hair. Thanks.
[/url]

Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2003 at 7:11pm
I'm Going to recommend, Redken All Soft. Only because we have a lot of Clients with your type hair that really like it.

And at the risk of sounding redundant.....Buy your professional products at a professional Salon.

You don't have to get your hair done, to go into a salon and ask for product advise from someone who can see and touch your hair, and is trained by the Manufacturer. AND... if the products don't work out, YOU CAN RETURN THEM.
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2003 at 8:03pm
Hi Sophie,

If you are talking to me you are preaching to the choir! I am hopelessley in love with All-Soft, and now that I've found it, I will never stop using it. I used it this morning and I am still stroking the back of my hair just for fun--it's SO SOFT and smells so darn good.

But I still like to switcheroo every third shampoo or so, just for the fun of it
[/url]

Tap Dancer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tap Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2003 at 3:06pm
I only like the Curessence conditioner.
[IMG]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n89/yerdumm/tapdancer2.gif" />
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2003 at 7:07pm
Elissa and Sophie...you gals are so right about All Soft. I honestly don't know if it's the greatest line out there but it makes each shower heaven with the scent. Yum!
Spaci32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaci32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2003 at 9:26pm
Alls I can say is that you guys have made me an addict for Redken all soft and the so long conditioner. I went to my hair dresser for the first time in 4 months ( I know such a procrastinator) and she asked if I wanted it trimmed after my coloring. I told her to do what she thought it needed. Well she didn't do a thing. She says my hair has been the best shape it's ever been in and shes seen it in all types of damage.

But with the aveda...HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, and TERRIBLE. I've used the purefume and the rosemary mint and gave them both to goodwill after only a few uses. They made my hair feel terrible and it was just flat and basically a gross limp ball. Listen to these guys from above. they know what they're talking about.

Traci
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2003 at 11:59am
My hair is very dry, coarse, thick and wavy.
It drinks conditioner.
I tried about six Aveda products and they wreaked havoc on my hair. It was the worst I had ever seen it.
Then (eventually) I discovered Phytotherathrie. What a relief.
Uzi

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic