Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Live and let live

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Live and let live
    Posted: November 28 2004 at 10:03pm
Kewl, Susan. Glad we could help. I have plenty of "ammunition" in mind. Unfortunately I've had to use it in the past. Oh well... let me (us) know if you feel you need more "reinforcement."
deltagirl12345 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deltagirl12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2004 at 4:24am
Hi Susan, Enfys,Strawberry.

Thank you all for responding to my question.

I would like to thank everyone for there great responces. I am now well armed with some great combacks to people when they bring up the "C" word to me - CUT.

Thanks

Susan
Susan
strawberryfine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strawberryfine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2004 at 10:18am
These are just some thoughts...

Don't offer an explanation. Your enemies don't deserve it and your friends don't need it.

"Well, how very presumptious of you", spoken calmly, can be a very effective reply to many people.

To protect the length of your hair,

(a) Don't cut it at all.
or
(b) Cut it yourself.
or
(c) Take a friend along to the salon to watch while your hair is being trimmed to see that your wishes are honored.

Hairstylists are people, as individual as people with long hair, or anyone else. Most of us (hairstylists)do not feel good about being judged as a group, anymore than most of us (longhair enthusiasts) would enjoy being judged as a group.

Take responsibility for how we and our hair are treated. Stating a preference quietly, and if necessary, walking away, are defenses that have worked well for me.

I have a close relative, who used to be critical of my hair, specifically its length. She doesn't say anything to me about it now, after I quit visiting her and told her why I quit visiting her and told her I would love to visit with her if she would just refrain from that criticism. I visit her frequently now.
If she slips up, I say, "Well, how very presumptious of you"... and that usually works.

Now, these are just my thoughts, they are not even suggestions of what I think anyone else should do.
If they were, then I would be being presumptious myself.

strawberryfine
A hairstylist who is letting her hair grow to terminal length.
strawberryfine
2aFii
12/25.5"/terminal length after reaching "small of my back length"
enfys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enfys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2004 at 2:11pm
It's been a hugely long time since I was here last, because I've left school and started college I've got a far greater workload.

What I found odd was that in school, most of the girls did the whole "cut your hair" thing, but now I'm in college, doing mostly boy-subjects, like D.T., I never get that. True, the boys don't compliment me - they just accept me.

Luckily in the UK hair donation/selling is not very big - it's all about fashion if people cut their hair. Oddly, when I go to a club or gig, if I meet up with peopleI met, they always remember me as "oh yeah - you were the girl with the really cool hair", even when all I did was pin up a few plaits and poke some flowers in.

Let's face it - LONG HAIR GOOD, SHORT HAIR GOOD (sometimes)...PRESSURE BAD
http://www.myspace.com/waltzin_with_the_open_sea
Ah-ha, a place I can soon add hair pics...once I do some
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2004 at 11:30am
Hi deltagirl! If not a day goes by that you don't have to justify your appearance, I think you may need to tell the people who say such things that they are harassing you and trying to control you for selfish reasons. You can tell them that you would never tell them what to wear, or how to get their hair cut, and to do so to you is just plain rude.

The only people who ever nagged me to cut my hair when it was bsl were my brother and mother. I think the reason for my mother was because when she was in high school (which she called "the best years of your life"....wasn't mine!), there was only one girl there with shoulder length hair and everyone else had close curly cuts. I saw her yearbook, it was from 1952 and short hair was just the ONLY thing acceptable there. So, she always thought I should have a short, curled do even though I was born in the mid 70s. My brother, I suppose, just picked up on her dislike of long hair and carried it off as his own, getting all of his girlfriends to cut off their hair. Since many people have long hair that isn't in good condition, they never thought it could look good? Hey, I don't know.

There's nothing better than a head of long hair in great condition, and these days, with great forums like this, we know how to treat our hair right and keep it looking great!

And to those of you who have mothers who are getting nagged to cut it, there's nothing more elegant on an older woman than a thick loose bun or big french twist. It looks much more beautiful than the thin old Helmet Head (what korsakovhatt3 calls the Irish Mammy!).

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deltagirl12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2004 at 5:54am
Hi Diane & Julina:

I totally agree with you both.

Maybe its just many of the people around me. Its just seems a day does not go by that someone is trying to get me to cut my hair shorter.

I guess I am just tired of explaining to people that I am very happy the way I am, with my hair long.

Susan
Susan
korsakovhatt3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korsakovhatt3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2004 at 1:37am
I agree with you, Diane. I've only had one bad hair day since I grew my hair long again. That was when I accidentally dyed it apricot a month ago. I think long hair is so much easier to take care of. No more messy mushroom-head mornings like I had in high school.

Juliana (from Canada too)
My user name is WAY too long. Just call me Juliana. :-)
dianefromcanada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2004 at 11:23pm
When I was a young girl I remember all the fuss my mother made to encourage me to have long hair but,all those evening sitting there as she curled my hair for the next day just drove me to cut it.
I thought at the time having short hair was the cat's meow. No fuss, easy to take care etc.

Later on I on my own decided to try growing it and again on my own during the later part of highschool decided to cut it having great fun at trying all kinds of hairstyles. When all those fancy hairstyles entered the picture having short hair was a lot of work and it took so much of my time.

Now I never have a bad hair day. I can have it in a bun, ponytail, loose or whatever I choose. I might or might not choose to cut it again in life but it will be my choice not others.

The only pressure I ever had to cut my hair was from my mother and sister because they love trying new things and that is fine for them. I never had any pressures from the public. I had many compliments. I did have a ex finance that thought it would be cute if I cut it and dyed it but again it was an ex......... What can I say............
If someone can't accept a person for who they are and how they look exactly at the moment there is no use to getting in the relationship.
Grace912 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grace912 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2004 at 8:39am
Exactly; you wouldn't go up to someone else and say, "We've decided that a percentage of your income is going to go towards [insert cause here]," because then, even if it is a charitable act, it's not done of the person's own free will. True volunteerism is self-initiated.
Monica: Isn't there any way that you could look at this as flattering? I mean, she's doing this to be more like you.
Rachel: Well, then, couldn't she have just copied my haircut?
Supersugar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Supersugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2004 at 6:19pm
I agree, I think that anyone who wants to keep their hair long should not be badgered into donating to LOL. Now if you cut it, that's a different argument. But cutting it simply to donate? Kind of a hard decision to make for someone else, y'know?
Make every day you have count, before the time comes for you to count every day you have.
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2004 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by korsakovhatt3 korsakovhatt3 wrote:

I've had people suggest that I cut my hair and donate it as well. The suggestion seems to be that I'm "hoarding" all the hair. My response to those people is that they are perfectly welcome to grow their own donation.

Exactly. They may seem to think that you're "hoading" some significant portion of the world's supply of long hair, yet at the same time they "selfishly" discard so much cumulative hair over the course of years by having their hair frequently trimmed at the salon. Funny how "their" perception of the equation seems to find it easy to fault "us" for our legitimate choice not to do as they do.
korsakovhatt3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korsakovhatt3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2004 at 4:36pm
I've had people suggest that I cut my hair and donate it as well. The suggestion seems to be that I'm "hoarding" all the hair. My response to those people is that they are perfectly welcome to grow their own donation.
My user name is WAY too long. Just call me Juliana. :-)
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2004 at 11:39am
I agree with you, Susan -- I think that there are too many people giving unsolicited haircut advice in this world.

In recent years, a number of people have -- out of the blue -- suggested that I cut my hair and give it to an organization which I shall not identify. I have studied their workings and concluded that they already have a very large surplus, and thus were themselves not needy.

But in just the past few weeks, I have received (again, from "out of the blue") suggestions to cut and then sell my hair. Funny how nobody tells other people who own expensive cars or homes to sell them and buy something cheaper.

Thanks for bring up the topic, Susan. There always seems to be a new angle on it to hash out.

[Edited to add: Nice to see you became a member, Mr. H., and it's good to know that your grow-out is going well.]
Nicole Z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicole Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2004 at 3:44pm
People who pick on others' choices typically are unhappy with their own lives, therefore they hurt others to make themselves feel better. It's a universal thing...right or wrong, it stinks. :/

My hair is almost to my knees (~50") and continues to grow longer. Rather slowly these days, but that's ok - it's still *growing*.
rosebud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosebud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2004 at 3:38pm
i'm jealous. hehe. I love long hair. I have noticed theres always pressure to cut hair. sigh..that's how my mom & sister chopped mine off. I used to love it, it was long. Oh well thank god it grows. I have noticed that even when people get makeovers they always cut hair! If someone grows their hair, its not a mistake, or fashionless. I love it, and i think soem ppl should stop pretending that short hair is wrong. Hey i just thought of something!!!! Why are all "professional" women for the most part short haired? Look at politicians, even news reporters, talk show hosts. Whats up with that? Are they trying to tell us that we're more "proper" if we're short like men.
Maybe i took it too far..hehebut just some observations. Thanks for bringing this up deltagirl, its interesting.
misterhappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote misterhappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2004 at 12:28pm
I am a middle aged guy who finally got up the gumption to let his hair grow. The stylist I go to has been very supportive. I went in for a cut and she gave me a slight trim and when she was done said with a smile "Go away. You can go a few months at least between trims now."

I finally logged in and attached a pic. Comments welcome.

Mr. Happy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deltagirl12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2004 at 10:36am
Hi All:

I really like all the responces. Thank you all so much. I still think and fell it all comes down to personal choice.

I do not try to press my views on others, and I do not what them to push there views on me. If you want a short cut, then have it. Be happy !

If I want to let my hair grow long. Then let me. I am hurting no one. Only give me your views, if I ask for them.

I really like this forum. So many nice people in it.

Susan.

Susan
Debbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2004 at 10:18am
When I was in High School I had waste legthn hair. Some of the girls wanted me to get my hair cut- I dinot let it bother me. I later got it cut because of the job career that I chose. Debbie

(edited becasue I wanted to!)
There is more to life than hair...Come on---Go get a life!!!!!!!
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2004 at 5:23am
I think one should not force haircuts on children, especially not something as ludicrous as a mother making her daughter have her nice hair chopped off in order to satisfy some urge she has, as a "guinea pig" for her mother's cosmetology classes etc. It's common sense that the daughter would care about how her hair looks - it's HER hair on HER head for crying out loud. I will NOT lighten up as long as people do treat their children like property. If you're too complacent to see that as a form of child abuse, that's your thing.
Supersugar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Supersugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2004 at 10:36am
The style that my mom gave me would have been very cute on a 22-year woman, and in fact, I did get my hair cut very short right around this time last year.

The problem was, at the time I was only 15, and my dim-bulb classmates just had yet another excuse to laugh at me...as if my being smarter than the average kid wasn't enough of a reason. Furthermore, it was such a labor-intensive style that I had no clue how to take care of it on my own. I wouldn't label the cutting as child abuse in every case, but it definitely hurt my self-esteem.

Hopefully when I get around to having daughters, I can teach them more about their hair than I knew about mine, and the 'split ends' argument won't have to keep coming up.
Make every day you have count, before the time comes for you to count every day you have.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic