Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why do people try to sugest cutting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
HD_EU View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD_EU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2005 at 9:48am
Hi Dave,
Originally posted by DaveDecker DaveDecker wrote:

D_EU originally wrote:
Then the remark is made (turned around) by the same people to short haired women: 'why don't you have your hair longer?'

Funny, I've never heard that one before. (Someone please enlighten me if you are aware of this scenario having played out.) Maybe it goes to show that the long-haired are more respectful to other's choices for themselves? Or maybe it's just that they don't feel that there's a reasonable chance that such advice would be taken (or even openly considered). Whatever, I think the evidence indicates that our society is generally biased in favor of short hair.
[/QUOTE]
To make my point a bit clearer: with short I mean (and meant) what sometimes is considered very short (1-let's say 10inch) here. Mid length to me is from chin to collarbones, long is everything from shoulderlength to bsl. Very long after that. I don't want to impose my 'categories' (always stupid-but they led to this misunderstanding I guess). In the case where women have short hair (1-10 inch) that remark is not uncommon. The length most women don't get remarks is the 'comfort zone' between jaw and just above shoulder blade. There's a 4 inch zone that is regarded as 'acceptable' to all. "Maybe room for improvement" to some, but generally accepted. Anything longer/shorter attracts attention and comments. Another clarification: with general I mean from collegues etc, not hair board related. The talk is very quickly biased in one way or another I guess.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic