Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked"Don't go shopping for..." book

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
June View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote June Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Don't go shopping for..." book
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:22am
So besides not getting any warm fuzzies about your hair products from Paula Begoun, has anyone found the book "Don't Go Shopping For Hair Care Products Without Me" useful?
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:23am
June,I have reviewed this book in the past (See the Books section of this site) and discovered (while reading the book) from various sources that Paula DID not actually try most of the products that she reviews.She had staff members give their opinions. Also...she trashes Aveda....and I have it on a reliable source that she uses Aveda products on her hair.So basically...as my book review says.....this a book to take with a grain of salt.. I bought it and have already traded it on at the Half Price Books outlet here in town.Karen
TAKE CARE WITH YOUR HAIR!
maggie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maggie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:23am
June....Karen has written a complete review of this book. I actually read her review (Books section) before I decided to buy the book. I looked at the book at Barnes & Noble and Karen was right. This book is not worth the money and seems to point you to low quality products. I am glad I read Karen's review BEFORE I wasted my money.Regards,Maggie
June View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote June Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:23am
Thanks for the responses, ya'll. I had already read Karen's review and bought the book anyway. I agree with the "grain of salt" recommendation, though I usually have my salt shaker poised when I read any type of advice. I don't think I would have bought this book if I had been satisfied with what I've been using. If someone is looking for a change, I would recommend it though.After trying one line after another (including Aveda), I was looking for another change. My hair is dry, coarse, very curly/almost kinky, colored and almost down to my butt. I also live in Georgia where the humidity can cause my hair to be a big head-full of fuzz some days. I need something heavier and with more conditioning and staying power than someone who has oily, fine, thin, or virgin hair.At first I thought "Why am I using ANY of this stuff?" But then I got used to Paula Begoun's very conservative compliments (and some really blatant criticisms) about the products. However, I didn't perceive her to be specifically "trashing" Aveda (a few others got a pretty thorough ripping though). I do think she was purposefully trying to burst the shampoo bubbles that marketing has forced upon the consumer.The fact that Karen says that Paula Begoun had others help her research substantiates the published results. How can her hair be the test case for all products? Also, if she personally uses Aveda products, then all the more reason to give credence to her objectivity because she certainly doesn't let it color her review. She even includes results of a survey that actually contradict her findings.It is my understanding that her reviews were primarily based on the ingredient list (which products contained ingredients that supported the claims of the product and which ingredients were "good for" or "not so good for" specific hair types and/or scalp conditions.) This is what I was looking for and have gotten my money's worth from it. I've stopped using some shampoos that have undesirable ingredients. I've started using some of the Framesi line, which I wouldn't recommend for everyone, and so far, I'm very satisfied.Paula Begoun doesn't seem to point anyone toward the "low quality" products, she just doesn't let price or exclusivity be factors in her recommendation.Regards, June
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:23am
Hi June,Thanks for sharing your comments about Paula's book. You made some very good points about it..The point you made about this being a good bookt for someone looking for a change is a good one because Paula does talk about a lot of different products.I only wish that she had included some of the products that are considered on the upper scale. Whether they are consumer rip offs or not...who knows? ( I think every product is suspect in some way.)When I say upscale I specifically mean the Kiehl products and Phyto and Fuerter. In some ways...these are even superior to Aveda...in my opinion.I realize that she couldn't review everything..but it would have been helpful since I am always looking for the absolute Aveda buster.I have used the Framesi line in the past and really like it. Jim Butchee uses Framesi to highlight my hair because it is so gentle and does virtually no damage. I think Framesi has good products. You are right...everyone's hair is very different. I have very thick naturally wavy hair...and it will also frizz in the Dallas heat.Luckily...Aveda works very well for me. But I do get tired of it and crave a change. That's when I go out there and look for alternatives and try them for myself. Then I will switch around for awhile. I had great luck with Bain de Terre and Phyto and Furterer. In a way...Aveda is easy...because I just know what it does and so if I switch...I know I can always resort to good ole Cherry Almond Bark.Paula's book is one of those books that people will either love or hate or love to hate. Too many sacred cows are sacrificed.Thanks again June. I really enjoyed your comments.Karen
TAKE CARE WITH YOUR HAIR!
June View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote June Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:23am
MOOOOOO (Sound of the sacred cow).I found Bain de Terre under Zotos; Paula gives an apathetic review of this line on average... the negatives are mainly comments about the sodium lauryl sulfate in some of the shampoos. Phytotherathrie averages a rather obvious thumbs down.Sometimes you can't tell if she's for or against. My main complaint about the book is that sometimes it looks as though she's just giving information about the products/ingredients, then other times she blatantly rips one line to shreds.I'll probably never settle for one product line; that would take all the fun out of it! But it's been nice to at least feel like I'm doing a bit of research before I run out and buy something else. That much, I appreciate. I have found that most of the shampoos that I've disliked are also not whole-heartedly recommended for my type of hair.Talk atcha later, June
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic