Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFrustrated Growing My Hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Alice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frustrated Growing My Hair
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:10am
Does anyone have any tips on getting through that frustrating tickling-the-neck won't-do-anything stage of growing out hair? Everytime I try to grow it out I get insane when it hits the mid-neck area. Any suggestions?
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:10am
Alice--You're at the stage where a lot of women get fed up and cut their hair--and then have to live through it all over again. The mid-neck-to-shoulder phase gave me the most bad hair days.Here's my advice:1. A good way to get medium-length hair off your neck is with one of those spring clips that look like bear traps. They hold your hair neatly and securely off your face and require little skill. Sometimes it's easier to let the back hang and just pull back the top and sides.2. Don't go crazy with blow dryers and curling irons in an effort to make your hair /do/ something. You'll damage your hair and have to have more trimmed in the long run.3. This is the point where some stylists will want to cut in layers, angles, fringe, etc. to make your hair more "manageable." Resist!! That's more stuff to grow out later.4. Remember that for every couple of inches or so your hair grows, you'll probably have to change your styling technique. This includes the products you use, the way you comb it, and the way you style it as it dries. Every few months, you'll find what you've been doing no longer works for you--and you'll have to start experimenting again.To sum up, you just have to suffer with the "I'm growing it out" look for a while. Remind yourself that it will be worth it.Ally
Dawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:10am
There's only one answer to your question Alice, patience, patience, patience. Did I mention patience? Ally made some great comments. Try everything, don't think about it, just let it grow if long hair is what you want.Good luck! Be patient!Dawn
elana View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:10am
This might seem funny, but I'll tell you what I did. Maybe I'm vain, but you decide! I bought 2 hair pieces. ! was rather expensive, and the other was less. But both looked so realistic that no one ever knew the difference. Plus, everywhere I went, people complimented me on it. The 1st peice was a 3/4 fall. It attached towards the back of my hair and all the front was my own. The fall came to about the middle of my back. It cost $120 (of course at this price it wasn't real hair)but it was WELL worth it. The second was a ponytail clip on for $30. Again all the front and sides were my real hair. The rest I just gathered up at the nape of my neck, and clipped the ponytail on to it. The key is that the pieces must match your real hair PERFECTLY!!! But this can be easily done. THe reason I needed these was because I got in a car accident, got a head injury, and had to cut the majority of my hair on the right side. Before this accident my hair came to my waist. So when they told me they had to cut the side I was already so upset, that my beautician friend suggested these ideas. It was a great idea, and it helped me get through the ordeal. I know this sounds superficial, but ask the other girls here.. when you have that long of hair for such a long time, it's hard to think of being without it. Of course now it has all grown out and the falls are no longer necessary for me. Hope this helps in some way!!!> Does anyone have any tips on getting through> that frustrating tickling-the-neck won't-do-anything> stage of growing out hair? Everytime I try to> grow it out I get insane when it hits the mid-neck> area. Any suggestions?
Laura Jane View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laura Jane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:10am
> Does anyone have any tips on getting through> that frustrating tickling-the-neck won't-do-anything> stage of growing out hair? Everytime I try to> grow it out I get insane when it hits the mid-neck> area. Any suggestions?That's definitely the worst stage - long enough to be annoying, but too short to put it up and have it stay!My first suggestion is that if tickling your neck bothers you, wear turtlenecks. (I was lucky enough to go through the worst of that stage in the winter, so it worked very well, except that my neck is very long, so there was room for it to tickle some above the turtleneck.) With current fashions, you can get away with mock-turtleneck t-shirts even in summer.My biggest complaint at that stage was always hair getting in my face or getting caught in my glasses. Barrettes help a lot with that, and pulling the front up on top while leaving the back alone is also a good strategy. So are the stretchy headbands that go all the way around your head - they hold the hair back very well. I wear them often now because I am growin out my bangs. (The rest of my hair is not a problem - it is to my waist.)Good luck, and stick with it. As grown-ups used to tell you when you were young, it builds character! (Kidding!)Laura Jane lswanson@sunflower.bio.indiana.edu
Jennifer J View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:11am
> Does anyone have any tips on getting through> that frustrating tickling-the-neck won't-do-anything> stage of growing out hair? Everytime I try to> grow it out I get insane when it hits the mid-neck> area. Any suggestions?Oh jeez... do I know that stage... I've been through it soooo many times. First off resist the urge to go into a salon and ask them to "fix" it... that's the reason I've gone through that stage so many times, because I'd get really frustrated and end up with 4-6 inches cut off or stupid layers or something. Keep in mind that trimming it will only make you have to deal with it for longer.My best suggestion for keeping your spirits up? Go to one of those hair acessory stores (there seems to be 3 or 4 in every mall :-/) and see what you can find. Those "claw clips" are really handy, but check and make sure they won't stab the back of your head all day! And you can get all kinds of barettes and clips to keep under control until it gets longer.Good luck and stick with it!-jj
Clare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:12am
Hi, Alice,I used headbands a lot during that phase. It was easy and kept hair out of my face. Good luck!!Clare> Does anyone have any tips on getting through> that frustrating tickling-the-neck won't-do-anything> stage of growing out hair? Everytime I try to> grow it out I get insane when it hits the mid-neck> area. Any suggestions?
Clare
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic