Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Chemically straightning hair and growing it out?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedChemically straightning hair and growing it out?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Camille View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chemically straightning hair and growing it out?
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:07am
Hi Hair Talk Discussion Board!How is everyone?.I'm 14 Yrs old and I have a few questions for anyone who can answer them. Well, I'm bi racial(half white and half black) and I have naturally curly thick hair, right? and it is above my shoulders and I dont wear the curl because then it makes it REALLY short. Well I blow dry my hair straight and it works but since I live in rainy Portland,Oregon it starts getting curly when I go to school because of all the rain and humidity. I used all of those straightning balms and none seem to work. OK, what I was wondering is HOW can I get my hair straight to where I can run my fingers threw it without it getting all tangeld up?. Also, is there anyway to make my hair grow out quicker?(I want it past my shoulders) Hope someone can help.... Thank you much!
Julie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Julie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:07am
> Hi Hair Talk Discussion Board!> How is everyone?.> I'm 14 Yrs old and I have a few questions for anyone> who can answer them. Well, I'm bi racial(half white> and half black) and I have naturally curly thick hair,> right? and it is above my shoulders and I dont wear> the curl because then it makes it REALLY short. Well I> blow dry my hair straight and it works but since I> live in rainy Portland,Oregon it starts getting curly> when I go to school because of all the rain and> humidity. I used all of those straightning balms and> none seem to work. OK, what I was wondering is HOW can> I get my hair straight to where I can run my fingers> threw it without it getting all tangeld up?. Also, is> there anyway to make my hair grow out quicker?(I want> it past my shoulders) Hope someone can help.... Thank> you much!Have you tried KMS Straight Out? Its one of the best products on the market right now.Its much less damaging on the hair but if all else fails you could chemically straighten it. Rusk has a great relaxer out there that wont fry your hair. You will have to have your new growth touched up about every other month. That means committment so be sure this is really what you want to do. Good luck!
Shasta View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:07am
Hiya Julie, i was wondering where i could find a Rusk Relaxer??
Mickhael from WWBS View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickhael from WWBS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:07am
> Have you tried KMS Straight Out? Its one of the best> products on the market right now.Its much less> damaging on the hair but if all else fails you could> chemically straighten it. Rusk has a great relaxer out> there that wont fry your hair. You will have to have> your new growth touched up about every other month.> That means committment so be sure this is really what> you want to do. Good luck!
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickhael from WWBS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:07am
> Hiya Julie, i was wondering where i could find a Rusk> Relaxer??You actually must find a licensed stylist that is trained in the proper application of RUSK ANTI-CURL TREATMENT as the product itself is not available for unlicensed sale. This unique treatment does NOT have the harsh ingredients of mostafrican-american straightening products - in fact you can tell yourhairdresser exactly how much curl to take out and how much wave to leave inyour hair. It is absolutely safe for your hair and can actually softenyour hair and increase the shine thereof! This service must be performedby a licensed cosmetologist and you must receive minor root touch-ups every6 - 8 weeks to mantain the look if your hair is naturally curly.Try the following salon in Portland near you:Sylvie Day Spa and Salonday spa & salon (503) 222-50541706 NW Glisan StreetPortland, OR 97209Tue-Fri 8:30am- 6:00pmSat 8:30am- 4:30pmTel: (503) 222-5054Fax: (503) 274-8267Payment Options: ATM, Cash, Check, Gift Certificates,Mastercard, Travelers Checks, VisaIn your service,Mickhael
Sherry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:07am
Hi there!I have personally used the Rusk radical Anti- Curl relaxer-- actaully, I used it for a period of three years, and was actually a test subject when it first came out. Like Mickhael said, you really need to go see a professional to have a really good job done. Although these new relaxers are MUCH more gentle than the originals made for African American hair, if they still aren't done properly, you could end enp with either frizzy hair with breakge or no result at all. Even something as simple as water temperature is important witht hese relaxers. Rusk relaxers come in three strenghts with #1 being for color treated hair and #3 being for course, unruly hair. I have had both #1 and #3 used on me, and there was really no differnce in result. I MUST reiterateto you, that these new relaxers WILL NOT make your hair bone straight! I have loose curl and I still had to blowdry for a half hour to get my hair straight-- in other words, you can't step out of the shower and just air dry and expect it to go straight. I sepnt just as much time blowing as I did BEFORE it was relaxed. oNe plus though is that this stuff DOES help in humid weather (most of the time). There is also anotehr relaxer out there that I prefer over Rusk called Paul Brown Hair at Rest. Again, this is a salon process with one of the new, gentle relaxers. I got a much more relaxed effect when Iused this relaxer, and if I were going to ever relax agian, it would be my rlaxer of choice. Best Wishes!Sherry~PS-- Julie and Mickhael are right about Flat Out by KMS-- I also use Phytodefrisent mixed with Citre Shine Straightening Balm-- this is a great combination too!> You actually must find a licensed stylist that is> trained in the proper application of RUSK ANTI-CURL> TREATMENT as the product itself is not available for> unlicensed sale. This unique treatment does NOT have> the harsh ingredients of most> african-american straightening products - in fact you> can tell your> hairdresser exactly how much curl to take out and how> much wave to leave in> your hair. It is absolutely safe for your hair and can> actually soften> your hair and increase the shine thereof! This service> must be performed> by a licensed cosmetologist and you must receive minor> root touch-ups every> 6 - 8 weeks to mantain the look if your hair is> naturally curly.> Try the following salon in Portland near you:> Sylvie Day Spa and Salon> day spa & salon (503) 222-5054> 1706 NW Glisan Street> Portland, OR 97209> Tue-Fri 8:30am- 6:00pm> Sat 8:30am- 4:30pm> Tel: (503) 222-5054> Fax: (503) 274-8267> Payment Options: ATM, Cash, Check, Gift> Certificates,Mastercard, Travelers Checks, Visa> In your service,> MickhaelRelated Link:Paul Brown Hair at Rest
Mimi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mimi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:07am
> Is Rusk just a "mild" relaxer? What are the active ingredients in this relaxer?Finally, are there any salons in Chicago?Thanks! - Mimi
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickhael from WWBS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:08am
> Finally, are there any salons in Chicago?> Thanks! - MimiHi MiMi -Most relaxers contain Sodium Hydroxide (LYE) or a derivative that is just as high of a pH in order to call it "no-lye", which in most cases is a fib at least - lol!Rusk Anti Curl comes in many formula strengths from ones for highlit/double-processed hair to coarse/resistant hair. ItspH is much lower than the chemical hair straighteners that contain Sodium Hydroxide derivatives as it is somewhat ofa permanent wave solution in cream form meaning it containthe same ingredients as normal perm Ammonium Thioglycolic Acid (Thio for short) in a thicker viscocity.I am not sure if they still use the product, but I highly recommendJ GORDON DESIGN LTD2326 N CLARKCHICAGO , IL60614(773) 871-0770J. Gordon has appear himself on Oprah several times andhas a very competent, well-trained staff in Chicago!In your service,Mickhael
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickhael from WWBS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:08am
> Hi there!> I have personally used the Rusk radical Anti- Curl> relaxer-- actaully, I used it for a period of three> years, and was actually a test subject when it first> came out. Like Mickhael said, you really need to go> see a professional to have a really good job done.> Although these new relaxers are MUCH more gentle than> the originals made for African American hair, if they> still aren't done properly, you could end enp with> either frizzy hair with breakge or no result at all.> Even something as simple as water temperature is> important witht hese relaxers. Rusk relaxers come in> three strenghts with #1 being for color treated hair> and #3 being for course, unruly hair. I have had both> #1 and #3 used on me, and there was really no> differnce in result. I MUST reiterateto you, that> these new relaxers WILL NOT make your hair bone> straight! I have loose curl and I still had to blowdry> for a half hour to get my hair straight-- in other> words, you can't step out of the shower and just air> dry and expect it to go straight. I sepnt just as much> time blowing as I did BEFORE it was relaxed. oNe plus> though is that this stuff DOES help in humid weather> (most of the time). There is also anotehr relaxer out> there that I prefer over Rusk called Paul Brown Hair> at Rest. Again, this is a salon process with one of> the new, gentle relaxers. I got a much more relaxed> effect when Iused this relaxer, and if I were going to> ever relax agian, it would be my rlaxer of choice.> Best Wishes!> Sherry~> PS-- Julie and Mickhael are right about Flat Out by> KMS-- I also use Phytodefrisent mixed with Citre Shine> Straightening Balm-- this is a great combination too!
Shasta View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:10am
OK, so where in Central Ontario can i get this done. Also, will this work on African American hair and will this make my hair straight not frizzy like other ralaxers??
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickhael from WWBS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:10am
Hi Shasta,I honestly do not know where in Ontario you can receive this service, however it is very popular so your search should be a short one.As far as, African American hair types go, you will have toutilize the daily Rusk Str8 balm daily after receiving the Rusk Anti-Curl Treatment for coarse/resistant to ensure success on that hair type.In your service,Mickhael> OK, so where in Central Ontario can i get this done.> Also, will this work on African American hair and will> this make my hair straight not frizzy like other> ralaxers??
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic