Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedLoosing my natural/wavy curls??Why?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Angie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Loosing my natural/wavy curls??Why?
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:09am
I have always had thick hair. But as I age its getting thinner. Also, for years I've worn it natural curly/wavy, but for the last few weeks it is straightening on its own. I don't understand what could cause this??? Age, Hormones, any ideas or has anyone else experienced this?
Sherry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:09am
I have read that as you age, your hair texture does change due mainly to hormone fluctuation. I can see this readily in my mother. All her life she has had very thick, course curly hair. Now it is much thinner and has taken on more of a wiry texture at the roots-- She is only 50. Even I, at 22 notice a change in my loose spirals. It was much easier to keep a nice, solid spiral at 16, then it is now. One thing that may help, is for you to try a clarifier. Sometimes, us curlygirls can be a little heavy handed with the styling aids, and we need to really get in there and clean of the build-up. I use a clarifier once a week -Neutrogena makes a good one- and it really helps my curls to spring back to life. On normal days, I wash with ARTec Volume Shampoo and Smoothing Conditioner.Sherry~
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:09am
> Hi, Angie!I love your question. I posted a question within the last couple of weeks about something a stylist had noted on a local program. He had over 30 years of experience and worked with a variety of hair types. His clients all had gorgeous hair. He said something which I had never heard before. He said that hair naturally changes every 5 years. I never got any feedback from here, but I think it's definitely something to ponder. Personally, I wondered whether this wasn't some type of variation on the ability of the skin to renew itself every 24 to 30 days. Your hair is not supposed to be able to do this. What you can hope for is that healthy new growth is the renewal.I agree with Sherry only to a certain degree. I would say that age and hormone fluctuations are factors which vary with the individual and should not be seen as the norm for anyone. My great grandmother's hair was as thick and beautiful at 85 as it was when she was 19. Perhaps she is just a freak of nature, but I don't think so. I have seen many persons over 65 with hair which is thicker and more lustrous than someone in their 30's.For myself, I would say that over the past couple of years, I have literally watched my hair regenerate itself. The more I feed it with good products, supplements and food, the happier it is. I can't say that I have watched my hair change naturally from the teens to the 20's. In fact, from some of the comments from the women in their 40's and beyond on this Board, the best in hair is yet to come:)It's interesting to me that your hair is straightening out within a period of weeks. Mmm....Diet different, stress level different.....That's quite unusual.For women, I think the two most dramatic events for hair are pregancy and menopause. Definite hormone changes which some women's bodies can handle and others cannot,at least as far as hair is concerned.All the Best,Jade21I have always had thick hair. But as I age its getting> thinner. Also, for years I've worn it natural> curly/wavy, but for the last few weeks it is> straightening on its own. I don't understand what> could cause this??? Age, Hormones, any ideas or has> anyone else experienced this?
Ciera View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ciera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:09am
> I love your question. I posted a question within the> last couple of weeks about something a stylist had> noted on a local program. He had over 30 years of> experience and worked with a variety of hair types.> His clients all had gorgeous hair. He said something> which I had never heard before. He said that hair> naturally changes every 5 years.> I agree with Sherry only to a certain degree. I would> say that age and hormone fluctuations are factors> which vary with the individual and should not be seen> as the norm for anyone. My great grandmother's hair> was as thick and beautiful at 85 as it was when she> was 19. Perhaps she is just a freak of nature, but I> don't think so. I have seen many persons over 65 with> hair which is thicker and more lustrous than someone> in their 30's.I think it could be true that hair naturally changes every five years. Look at a 2 year old's hair compared to a 7 year old's, and a teen's compared to a person in their 20's. Go on up the time line of age. And I agree with Jade 21, I don't believe it is a set rule that hair thins out as we age. A lot does have to do with hereditary. And stress... I say this because when I went through a very stressful time in my life I was loosing hair by the handfuls. It was frightening, and I was stressing over the hair loss too! Probably making it worse. I had another interesting experience. I've always had straight hair until I was pregnant with my second child. My hair became very wavy all over and curly around my face. All of my children have straight hair except my second child, his hair is very curly. Since that time long ago my hair evolved back to its straight lines. For whatever it's worth I just thought I'd share that.
Ciera View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ciera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:09am
> I love your question. I posted a question within the> last couple of weeks about something a stylist had> noted on a local program. He had over 30 years of> experience and worked with a variety of hair types.> His clients all had gorgeous hair. He said something> which I had never heard before. He said that hair> naturally changes every 5 years.> I agree with Sherry only to a certain degree. I would> say that age and hormone fluctuations are factors> which vary with the individual and should not be seen> as the norm for anyone. My great grandmother's hair> was as thick and beautiful at 85 as it was when she> was 19. Perhaps she is just a freak of nature, but I> don't think so. I have seen many persons over 65 with> hair which is thicker and more lustrous than someone> in their 30's.I think it could be true that hair naturally changes every five years. Look at a 2 year old's hair compared to a 7 year old's, and a teen's compared to a person in their 20's. Go on up the time line of age. And I agree with Jade 21, I don't believe it is a set rule that hair thins out as we age. A lot does have to do with hereditary. And stress... I say this because when I went through a very stressful time in my life I was loosing hair by the handfuls. It was frightening, and I was stressing over the hair loss too! Probably making it worse. I had another interesting experience. I've always had straight hair until I was pregnant with my second child. My hair became very wavy all over and curly around my face. All of my children have straight hair except my second child, his hair is very curly. Since that time long ago my hair evolved back to its straight lines. For whatever it's worth I just thought I'd share that. Ciera
Serena View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Serena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:09am
Hi Angie,Hormones can be a big factor in changing hair texture. I know this one woman who had straight hair until puberty and then it got really curly and has been ever since. Another factor is length. I have naturaly wavy hair but now that it is quite long the waves have become limp and boring. Also, conditioners, while great for smoothness, really kill the curl. What i do when I want to bring out my hair's bouncy texture is I wash my hair at night with a clarifying or bodifying shamoo, no conditioner. Then I go to sleep with wet hair. When i wake up, my hair is once again wavy.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic