Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

shrinkies with bohyme hair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 6:13am
Hmm...just for curiosity, what percentage of your clients have had no slippage or minimal slippage, and what percentage have had too much slippage? Your application has been basically the same from client to client, and you've been using the same tools and supplies, so I think this just goes to show that some methods stay in some people's hair and don't in others. Maybe you'll have more success with Kristin's shrinkies, too. It would still seem, based on the success you've had so far, that it's a very good method for a lot of people, though.

Maybe AMM has some thoughts on the shrinkies adhering to the hair but the tip falling out. She has a lot of experience with shrinkies, and she may be able to do some trouble-shooting here.

:)
Amanda8Beechwoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8Beechwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 6:31am

Here's goes.

1st shrinkie client Kirsty - applied with flat iron, lasted 8 weeks before they started to come out, only had one come out in first 6 weeks, re-fit on Sunday - happy client

Alex - applied with doc's heat clamp, just rebooked for refit 14th May, has had about 20 come out in 9 weeks - happy client

Carly - applied with doc's heat clamp, not suitable to shrinkies at all, kept sliding out as has greasy hair, re-fitted with extentubes, no slippage or movement with extentubes - happy client

Michelle - applied with doc's heat clamp, still in, had about 15 come out in 8 weeks - happy client

Laura - had no contact with this client, deleted her e-mail address without thinking so don't know whether happy or not

Emily - applied with doc's heat clamp, been in three weeks, none come out - happy client

Sharon - applied with doc's heat clamp, been in two weeks, had 10 come out - happy client

Sonia - applied with doc's heat clamp, not suitable to shrinkies at all, total slippage because of greasy hair, re-fitting Friday with extentubes - still happy client

Dee - applied with doc's heat clamp, been in two weeks, had 20 come out, don't know why as hair was over bleached so can't imagine it being greasy, being refitted after I come back from my wedding with glue - unhappy client

Lisa - applied with doc's heat clamp, been in two weeks, had about 15 come out with her hair in them, advised client she must be tugging and if continues will refit with different method - not happy or unhappy client, somewhere in the middle, loves the hair but she's obviously worried about hers coming out with the shrinkies.

Dawn (my mate) - applied with doc's heat clamp, been in since Saturday, 7 come out already, already knew she had greasy hair but she washed it with dish soap 3 times and insisted I try them, seeing how things go and then possibly re-fitting with extentubes - obviously happy cos she's my mate LOL

So that's 6 definitely happy clients, 1 I don't know, 1 definitely unhappy and 3 not suited but being re-fitted xxxx

Its still baffling me that if the client has greasy hair then surely it should be the shrinkie that slips out of the hair as well as the tip, not just the tip

Edited by Amanda8Beechwoo
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 5:36pm
Hmm...honestly, I think there's more going on here than just a few clients having greasy hair. You've obviously bent over backward to provide great service and alternatives when the system doesn't work, and it's obvious that most of your clients are happy, but I'm counting a total of 11 clients here, 5 of whom the shrinkies seem to work well for, 5 of whom have had major slippage, and 1 you don't know what the status is. So let's just say the shrinkies are working 50% of the time, so they're a good method for 50% of the people. You've been using the same supplies and techniques, so it can't possibly be you. At the same time, if it were maybe one client in 11 who was having difficulties, you could assume that it's maybe something that client is doing or something very unusual about their hair, but if 5 are having major slippage, I think it indicates a limitation of the method, frankly. Again, no one's fault--just the reality, imo.

I think you're doing everything you can possibly do here to provide the best possible service, but at this point, I just wouldn't expect shrinkies to work 100% of the time, or even 90% of the time. A 50% success rate is still good, as long as you can provide some other options if the shrinkies don't work out. Maybe someone else has some thoughts on this. I believe Kristin once said that when she has a consultation with a potential client, she'll put a few shrinkies, a few tubes, and a few fusion bonds in their hair, and then they can decide which they want depending on how they perform over the next week or so (hopefully I got this right--you might want to check with Kristin), but this may be a helpful approach. Of course, this isn't always possible if you're having phone consultations or the person doesn't live nearby.

Anyway, Amanda, you're doing an excellent job, and I'm sure you'll figure out how best to proceed. You're clearly doing something right because you have a lot of happy clients, and they keep coming back!

marie87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marie87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 5:58pm
Amanda I have been playing with these shrinkys on my manikin some I rolled some not like save a stray said to do with MB.I found that when I rolled it ,It didnt seem to seal as well every time so I had them put in my hair by a friend and I had her heat and leave alone. They all feel very sealed but of course time will tell and I will let you know how it goes .I also made the tips flat like sas said. I have had trouble with all my oily cliens with exten tube and short to long. but I find If they shampoo wiht Nioxin shampoo it will realy cut down on the oil. I also tell them to not go longer than every other with the shampooing
mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 6:14pm
well I put 5 testers in on Sunday night with a flat iron on hair that hadn't been washed since Saturday morning.

Last night I was abusing the crap out my head.  I bleached some parts and oclored others and first used color remover everywhere and dishsoap and clarifying shampoo and a hot oil treatment and yeesh everything.

now clearly they haven't been in long enough to really tell but they did get the craap kicked out of them last night and they are still hard and in place.  I pretipped with LG and nail glue...

I'm sure you're doing a bang up job and that it's a question a hair greasiness and this client possibly trying to exploit you.

Maybe extendtubes are the way to go for her.
Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 7:45pm
You know what? Maybe it's the shrinkies. Maybe they're just irregular - some good, some bad. Amanda, you aught to give Kristin's a try and see if they behave more predictably. And if somehow you could get hold of Mark Barrington's or a sample of them, that would be good, too, for comparison. They may just be really different.
metalgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 9:43pm

Amanda,

I don't think the problem is with you at all, I think that Doc's shrinkies are inconsistant and therefore produce inconsistant results.

Try Kristen's shrinkies.

In the meantime, I'll tell MB that you're a stylist in England who is interested in his system but certainly can't come to the USA for a class and see if he's  willing to work something out with you.

sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 10:05pm

I wonder the same thing about the Doc shrinkies being inconsistant. So many of us have done tests with them, different pretips, different tools, different temps, with very different results. I have yet to master the shrinkies, as much as Ive practiced with them. Some shrink down really good others just dont seem to shrink down enough. So Im not sure if its me, my technique, my tools or the shrinkies themself. I question it being my technique or my tools based on the fact that Amm has such amazing results, and not much slippage or lost strands. Although loosing a few over the duration of the extensions isnt a big deal. On my current set of extensions I have in 30 shrinkies for testing. I have lost 4 I think, which isnt bad, but makes me wonder how many I would have lost if the other 200 fusion bonds were shrinkies...kinda scarey! I have lost 2 fusion bonds over 9 weeks out of 200 and 4 shrinkies out of 30.....Shrinkies have been in 3 or 4 weeks but lost or 4 shrinkies in the first week or so and havent lost any since, but I can feel that a few are starting to 'soften'.

Im thinking about giving Kristens shrink tubes a try to compare them.

Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 10:12pm
Ditto what Sherrie said. I installed test shrinkies (Doc's) on myself with a flatiron and others on my boyfriend with Doc's wand, and the results--both the hold and the ease of removal (or lack therof)--were not consistent enough for me to feel confident installing an entire head, as much as I wanted to.

Hell, Metalgirl has been using the MB shrinks for a long time--so obviously she has a lot of expertise in this--and if she says Doc's shrinkies aren't consistent, I think it's safe to say there's an issue there. In that context, yours and AMM's success is pretty damned impressive!

sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 10:45pm

Hey Jenn do you think there is anything to be said about flatter pretips with the shrinkies, rather than the rounded tips? I've noticed a few of the members have been starting to talk about making the pretips flat.

This might be a good question for Amm.......heyyyyyy Ammmm.....where are ya!

Edited by sherrie215
shel221 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shel221 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 1:02am

I know what your going through Amanda.  At one point i was sold a certain glue stick of my supplier at the time and they worked out at £10 and were advertised as being brilliant so i used them on all of my clients (and this was at my busy time too) and one by one they were all coming back to me but for what?? Well these so called fabulous sticks were only fabulous until water touched them and made them all fall out peoples hair and of course i had to re- do with new hair at my expense.  What a complete carry on and fortune.  I know this isnt the same cituation as yours but i worked hard will all they clients and it made me feal incompetent.  I now stick to the same keratin wax sticks and will do forever from my current supplier £3 each as they don't budge in peoples hair.  Maybe for these clients that are causing you problems, you could use one of the sticks i use and if they have a problem then they can phone me as ive used them for years and never had any problems.  Occasionally i have had a customer say they have had some fall out but its turned out its due to them picking at them, left them in over 12 weeks (so it would be expected then) or are just plain chancers who have decieded they dont suit extensions and just want there money back.  Watch for these type of customers.

x

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8Beechwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 4:22am

Hey there guys, as I've said before, I'm so glad I've found this board otherwise I think I'd have given up doing extensions by now and have felt a failure.  I've got another couple of bookings for this weekend for shrinkie clients but I've made it quite clear on the telephone that if they aren't suited with this method that I will re-fit them.  I want to prepare them for the fact that everybody isn't suited to them.  That's a brill idea about putting a few in of each method in their hair to see which they like.  I'm definitely going to offer that to people when they come for their consultation if they live nearby, thanks Jenny. 

Marie - I'm intrigued with this flat tipping business.  Can you post a picture of what your flat tips look like, its got to be worth a try.  I've always rolled my shrinkies because it says to roll them on the doc's site.

Syren - I ordered some of Kristen's shrinkies, a glue gun and some glue sticks yesterday so when they come I'm going to test them on a friend to see if they are any different.  I'm thinking that the Doc's shrinkies are becoming inconsistent.  I found one the other day where the Keratin coating was hanging out of the shrinkie, well at least that proves they are coated with keratin but then I thought, well maybe the keratin just melts onto the client's hair and comes away from the shrinkie or something and then doesn't readhere back onto the shrinkie when its shank.

Metal girl - If you could do that for me with MB it would be brilliant, if you were at the side of me I'd have kissed you for even suggesting it.  Maybe he could give some pity to this poor being xxx

Shel - thanks for the offer, I'll take you up on that if Kristen's sticks don't work out xxxx

Again, thanks guys

Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 4:50am
Originally posted by sherrie215 sherrie215 wrote:

Hey Jenn do you think there is anything to be said about flatter pretips with the shrinkies, rather than the rounded tips?

Yeah, that sounds quite plausible to me. I know the conventional wisdom is that they should be "rolled," but if the shrinkie isn't heating uniformly or doesn't contain enough glue, maybe that creates more problems. And quite frankly, I don't think these things should need to be rolled. If the shrinkie is shrinking around the tip as it should, and there's a glue coating, but you still have to roll 'em, it sort of makes me wonder what the advantage is over fusion frankly. Plus, maybe the "rolling" can actually dislodge the glue bond that's been melted into the hair/tip, rather than reinforcing it. It sounds counterintuitive, but I think it's a possibility at least.

Yeah, I think further testing with Kristin's shrinks is in order here. Amanda's done 11 heads and obviously knows what she's doing, and many others with lots of extension experience, including yourself, have been having the same difficulties, so there's an issue, imo.

Edited by Jenny_RR
Rapunzelwannabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rapunzelwannabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 11:15am
I'm with these ladies on the idea the shrinkies they might do better without rolling--maybe just cook 'em and then let the inner coating penetrate where it will and let it set.

Perhaps rolling is ruining the benefit of the interior coating.

Seems like someone (mochachip?) was experimenting with what shampoos/conditioners made these soft.  That seems to be my biggest problem--the shrinkies getting all squishy and soft after a few weeks. 

What a conundrum!  When they're good, they're really good, and when they're bad, they're...
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 12:28pm
Maybe the glue coating inside heat shrink tubing isn't consistent. Maybe the glue is getting too hot or not hot enough or maybe there's too much build up on an individual's hair on installation. Maybe there's too much rolling. Maybe you shouldn't roll. Maybe hair texture plays a large part in shrinkie success/failure. Maybe the water's too soft or too hard that you're washing your hair with.

We could go on and on and on here.

My approach is direct - instead of pondering what will work and what might not - just do it. If you think flat tips would be better - do it. Come back and post the findings. If you think not rolling will be better - do it. Come back and tell us if it worked or not.

I had 5 shrinkies come out last night at the nape because I had too much conditioner in there. They were all synth so the expand/contract theory can't really be used. I have some that are spongy feeling, too. Most aren't.

This goes any type of extension method - if you've tried it every which way 'til Tuesday and it won't work - dump the method and move on.     

mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 12:29pm
Rapunzel - I'm not so much experiemnting with what screws them up as I was testng out my application skills and needed to get my hair prepped for the full installation (this weekend!) however.  I have about 20 different shampoos and 10 different conditioners sitting around for various purposes.  And I'd be more than willing to report back on how each one does and what the major ingredients in each are.

I actually have a conundrum to work out about when to do my Aphogee deep conditioning treatment.  My hair is pretty cooked but when I do these every so often it reall helps and since I just took about 1/4 of my natural hair from ~#4 to a light buttery yellow with bleach its really time to give it a go again.  So I either need to treat before shrinkies (like tonight with  saturday application in mind) but that stuff makes your hair super smooth.  Or do it after the shrinkies go in but then its an hour or so treatment with deep conditioner under heat which could soften up t he shrinkies...  I could only put in on away from my scalp but thats very difficult, cause all the hair needs to fit into my soft bonnet so I pile it on my head.  But even so theres the heat...

Should make an interesting experiment to share with y'll and the softening of the shrinkies.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8Beechwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 1:07pm
Well I don't know whether to make the tips flat or not cos I mean the clients that I've done where the shrinkies haven't come out, the tips then were rolled, I suppose it can't hurt.  I'm due to tip some hair ready for Friday's client tonight so I'm going to do it flat and then see if she has any come out.  I'm not going to roll them either so we'll see what happens.  Hopefully they won't come out otherwise I'm going to have to try and squeeze the client in before I fly to get married on 4th April to have a re-fit yikes!!! xx I'll keep you posted with the unrolled shrinkies with flat tips xx
marie87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marie87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 5:00pm

Amanda I dont know how to do phots yet but if you look at save a strays pre tiping thred what the look like befor the roll is what they look like. Also  I'm going to play with somy epoxy. Some of them can with stand tempetures up to 160 wich means it would with stand the heat.I feel looking at the MB tips SAS showed the plastic bond is just at the tip of the hair wich would alow the shrinkys adhesive to also come in contack with the hair . Dose this make any senceand if we can find the plastic to use it would just be one step instead of latex and glue.By the way my shrinkys which none were rolled after heat are all the same shape and size .When doing this you must be carefull for a few seconds not to pull the hair out before it cools.I hope ths helps.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8Beechwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2005 at 4:27am
Yes that has helped Marie, thank you very much.  I tipped a whole 4oz weft last night with flat tips and small like you've said and then I tipped my nail glue into a little pot that I found and just dipped the tip into that and wow it was a lot easier and quicker.  I've got a really good feelin about this.  I actually like the look of the tips a lot more as well.  They look a lot more professional like this.  Fingers crossed it will work.  The client's due tomorrow so I'll keep you lot posted xxx What's somy epoxy? xx
marie87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marie87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2005 at 6:53am
Good luck You will find them easyer they dont slip out whe puting them in!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic