Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Remember shrugs?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Remember shrugs?
    Posted: August 18 2003 at 12:32pm
They were those funny looking garments that were "just sleeves," for lack of a better description. A real fad 5-6 years ago. Some trends (capris, 3/4-length sleeves) from the late 90's have endured, yet shrugs have all but disappeared. Does anyone else remember those things?
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
caramia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caramia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2003 at 12:45pm
Actually I don't remember them but i was informed about them 6 months ago when a friend told me she was crocheting one. I also decided to crochet one for my 6-year old daughter - she was a flower girl in a wedding in March. I wanted her to have something to wear outside that would keep her arms and shoulders warm without hiding her lovely dress. By the way, it was a pain (in my opinion) to crochet and I won't be crocheting any more shrugs.

Caramia

Cranberry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cranberry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2003 at 2:30pm
I TOTALLY remember shrugs...I never had one, but I saw them around lots of times back some years ago. I've recently seen one or two people wearing them for a formal/prom kind of thing, but nothing else.
Think they'll ever come back?
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2003 at 3:38pm
Eventually everything, no matter how impractical or ugly, comes back in style (shudder.) I started this thread because this weekend I saw one solitary shrug on clearance at TJ Maxx. I hadn't seen them in years and it jogged my memory.

Caramia I like your idea of wearing one with a formal dress, however. I think it might be easier to get a matching shawl but I commend you for taking the effort to make one!
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
dancingflame View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dancingflame Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2003 at 12:06pm
I love shrugs....especially oversized ones in soft knit fabrics......super comfy
They were definitely popular about 4 years ago....but then disappeared..
What's cool about them is that they're really easy to make
Silvertine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silvertine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2003 at 10:35am
Yeah, I seem to remember having a pink shrug four or five years ago.
ames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2005 at 6:28am
shrugs are HUGE at the moment in london, i see them everywhre, wool, crotchet, linen, beaded antique ones - mostly worn with jeans and a little corset. they look pretty good if you know how to style it!capes seem to be making a comenback too..if they were ever in in the first place
i can't take it no more so i'm going on a shopping spree
....H.A.R.M.A.R superstar....
MoNiCaxOC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MoNiCaxOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2005 at 4:00pm
Shrugs are coming back. So are cropped knit wraps. They have cute shrugs and wraps on http://www.discountdance.com in their warm ups section. They're pretty cheap too. I stocked up. :-)
This is because I can spell konfusion with a K
It's hard to like it
It's to dying in anothers arms
And why i had to try it...
- Something Corporate "Konstantine"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic