Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Multi-colored hair disaster

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sevenyearbecky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sevenyearbecky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Multi-colored hair disaster
    Posted: July 23 2001 at 1:19am
Last week my hair was my natural color, dark brown, with some remnants of year-old blonde streaks, not too garish or noticable. Also my hair is long.
I got the brilliant idea to go red (Clairol Hydrience intense true red 2RR) with blonde streaks (I was hoping for something daring, my old blonde streaks had been a vehicle for getting green streaks into my hair - it looked great :o) but now at my job I have to have "natural"-color hair, so I figured a couple natural colors would be OK.
So, brilliantly, I read up on hair dying and plunged in, promptly forgetting all I had read. I wasn`t careful enough to separate the two clors (I was doing the red and Clairol Born Blonde simultaneously) and well, red + yellow = orange. Then I panicked and grabbed some black Manic Panic I had lying around, immediately applied the stuff. Immediate slime green. Quick couple of shampoos, and the green is on the down low. Some colored styling pomade and I am decent to go out in public and to work, but well, I am hoping for a solution. Blonde, orange, and reddish brown are NOT my colors, not to mention green. I have pinkish skin and blue eyes. Warm makeup helps balance things out, but I feel an overwhelming sense of ickiness and I promised my boss I`d figure something out and fix my freaky hair in a couple of weeks.
Any suggestions? I can tolerate a lot (obviously), and I could go black, dark brown, or what have you, I will try anything, but can ABSOLUTELY not afford a salon, I have a kid and make just above minimum wage.
By the way, I called Clairol`s 800 number and the dude suggested some "filler" - 4 to 5 boxes of a particular shade of blonde color only no activator, and then 20 minutes later 2 boxes of medium golden brown + activator. This seems like the most sane choice, though he said my old highlights were almost guaranteed to look funky. But I don`t want to be medium golden brown, it sounds a bit too light and a bit too golden, and will I end up with red, orange, brown, or blonde hair (better than green I guess), I forgot to ask - oops. Guess the chemicals got to my head! Haha. Any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate!
Don`t do what I did - I didn`t separate the two colors well enough. I did the hair close the scalp first (it WAS darker when I satrted out), but it still cooked faster due to the heat of my head. I did test strands, and I think it would have looked nice had I not made these two mistakes. I got lazy fast and had I had someone helping me (someone else did my green streaks last year), everything would have been OK I think.
ssjockey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2001 at 12:19am
Reply to message: 7.1080.1
Two suggestions, first, try going to a high-profile hair school, like the Vidal Sassoon Academy. The work is done by students, supervised by very experienced staff. They might find a case like yours a great teaching opportunity to show the students how to fix a "blooper", and you might get great services for free, or a very nominal fee. At the very least, they could give you suggestions. Aside from that, I would suggest to dye your hair black, and leave it alone for a while. When the black grows out enough, say in 5 to 6 months, cut off all the damage, and start over! Look at the bright side, your hair will grow back!
lgp82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lgp82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2001 at 7:58pm
Reply to message: 7.1081.1
I would get a semi per. color, dark golden brown. The red tones in this color will tone down the green. If you don`t like it it should wash out in about 25 washings, depending on how damaged your hair is.
What is your natural color? Do you have a K-mart ( the one near me has a hair salon) or a cheap salon like that near by? It might be cheaper to have them fix it then to do what the 800 guy suggested. If you do what he sayes you`ll have to spend 6 $ a box times 5 ( you said you needed 5 toners right?) that would be 30 $ then 6 more for the color and developer that would be 36$ plus the tax. You`ll probably need a trim too, so I would call around to see what prices are.
~*~*Lisa*~*~
AliciaRaquell View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AliciaRaquell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2002 at 3:22pm
What did you end up doing? I have the same problem only I have orange flames not green tint.

What did you do?
Pam View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2003 at 3:48am
I just got done with trying color my hair with the NEW Revlon 10 minute haircolor.
I usually use Loreal Creme for natural blond color.
I did not do the allergy/color test as I have colored my hair for yrs.
I ended up with RED hair!!!(Normally its med blond and had not colord my hair for almost 6 mo).

I turned around and washed my hair 4 times with the clarifying shampoo but to no avail. Then I thought about peroxide... I decide to try a mix of 3 capfuls in a sink of water w/ lots of dish soap and used a cup to dump the mix over my entire head several times.
This did help to slightly lighten it but I decided to stop for fear I might I do any major harm.
I conditioned very well and let it air dry.

I cannot afford to go to a stylist at all so any other suggestions?
How soon can you use another hair color product? Can I try to use that Sun in stuff spraying just a little bit?
Thanks, Pam
Booie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Booie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2003 at 6:20pm
Pam STOP! sun in is the worst stuff ! Im a beautician it containes a mitalic die that mixed with other cemicals terns your hair into cottin like pull apart dameged stuff.........even can just break off! realy have seen these resauts hun bad stuff!!!! ok lets see .....do you mean salon peroxide or just plain old peroxide ...........your old colered hair even thew it has been six months is still damaged any time you do cemical it is dameged ....it grabbed the base .....it will fade hopfully but may hold some of the stain depends on the hair perosaty ...salons carry a thing called coler erase it can be mixed with warm water or peroxide depends on the intensaty you need im gussing yours is not as bad as beckys yours may lightin buy using prell or dish soap to lighten it ..it works like a stripper but used to much will dry your hair out more so be carfule ...also washing in warm water as warm as you can stand helps fade coler ...........but a salon will help you fast like now befor much more damage happines for both of you and you end up past repair...you are worth it ...call around talk to some stylistes exsplain your problem and tell rite up front you dont have money to waste and need cheapest way out maby you will find some body you can trust and end up with great looking hair & a beautician friend! Jocky had a good point to the schools may help free or cheap ! .........good luck to you all ...wish i could put ya in my chair now & help ya myself !
Booie
Pam View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2003 at 9:23pm
Ok so last night I tried the dish soap and hot water wash and it lightened it just a bit.
I made sure to condition the heck out of it as it was very very dry after all that.

I call Revlon today and they told me I could use a Rinse type of hair color in blond as long as it does not contain amonia or peroxide.

I read on another web site about a product used to help remove the color.. but it doesnt need that much color removed now. I think I may just try the rinse type of color as my hair now is like a dark strawberry blond.

Or should I try to remove some of the color first before I try a temp color??

Oh and of course.. my husband likes this color!!! LOL.. I Hate it!
Thanks for the tip about the sun-in... I never made it out of the house today as both my kids are sick w/ bad colds.

Thanks,Pam
Booie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Booie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2003 at 11:59am
Yea ! Pam im glad it helped , I also did this and just cept washing it it faded preety much on its own...lol my hubby also liked it ...I dont understand men lol I'm soooooo glad ya dident do sun in ! I never new how bad that stuff was till i seen some of the after resaults and it ant pretty!
Booie
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2003 at 1:03pm
Hi Pam! Booie is right on the money about Sun-In. Speaking from personal experience, that is a concoction only to be used by those with the hardiest, strongest hair on the block. For people with dark hair the result is almost inevitably fluorescent orange. Those with naturally light blond hair *can* lighten up a bit with it, but it is still hazardous to damage-prone hair as it contains hydrogen peroxide as its lightening ingredient.

I strongly recommend not experimenting much more with H2O2 either via Sun-In or from the medicine cabinet (although the medicinal type is usually only a 3 percent concentration.) Please be careful with your hair--nothing can ever repair damaged hair and it takes a LONG time to grow out color mistakes! Good luck Pam. :-)
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
Pam View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2003 at 5:33am
Hey all:
I went ot the store today and bought a color remover from Loreal.(cost around $9.00)
I was very amazed at the result.
It did a very good job of taking out the red in my hair.
I did the pre test first to make sure that my hair was in good enough shape for it and that it would have no problems.
It looked like a bad version of a bleach job.

It said that when it was done it was ok to re color your hair.
I did right after it was dry. The color is lighter than I would have preferred; but in comparison to what it did look like, this looks great and even feels healthy and soft!!

Well, it is 3 :30 AM my time and my hair is finally dry enough to go to bed now, after all that.

Thank You so very much for all the advice!
Take care, Pam
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic