Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

my hair is orange! help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sabby View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: my hair is orange! help!
    Posted: January 24 2002 at 8:49pm
help me please!! I usually have my med. to light brown hair highlighted. For the past three years I have been growing my hair long, it is now down past my bra straps, and have been waiting to become a blonde bombshell...I have going to the same fabulous colorist for the past five years...but my dream of being a beautiful blonde turned to horror when I looked in the mirror and found that although my hair was lighter, it is a gold and orange color. It looks like a cheap home bleach job gone bad...the problem is the colorist thinks that it looks great and that I "just need to get used to the drastic change". What can I do? I don`t know if I can trust him to do corrective color, but I don`t want to have to search for another colorist and stylist after all these years....does anyone know of a great colorist I can trust in Florida? Also, what should I have done to my hair to become that blonde bombshell?
Merlin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2002 at 7:03am
Orange hair happens often enough that Clairol put the solution to the problem on their professional colorist web site:

Recommend a soft neutral Level 6-Dark Blonde color using a gentle, nonammonia product like Complements Long-Lasting Semi-Permanent True Tone Gel Color. By combining neutral and blue/violet Complements shades, the formula will help neutralize the gold-orange base. Here`s how:

1. Mix the following formula in a bottle or bowl:
1-1/2 oz. Complements Semi-Permanent Gel Color 6N-S Dark Natural Blonde
1/2 oz. Complements Semi-Permanent Gel Color 6A-S Dark Ash Blonde
2 oz. Complements Color Prompter

2. Because of this client`s extreme hair porosity, apply the formula to damp hair, first at the scalp and 1-inch out, then down the shaft to the ends.

3. Strand-test to determine timing, checking every 5 minutes up to 15 minutes.

4. When desired results are achieved, rinse, shampoo and condition.

This is not extremely complex but should be done by someone with experience. I`m sorry I can`t help you locate someone in Florida. Perhaps a friend of coworker can recommend a good colorist.

One other piece of information, for what it`s worth, I have heard that washing several times with Prell really cuts down on the orange. I haven`t tried it myself but been told it works. Certainly worth a try.

Good luck! ;)

Merlin
Santa`s Little Belcher View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Santa`s Little Belcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2002 at 7:52am
Your hair is orange? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!!!
Joy88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2002 at 11:08pm
I am sorry you are going through this.
I also apologize for peoples ignorance.
It is obviously NOT funny. I dont
know what there problem is....maybe
just kids playing around with nothing
to do. Anyway, I recently had a similiar
problem. I went to a guy who was
recommended to me. He turned my light
brown hair black. I had a friend strip
the color and put in a pretty brown
shade. It looks really good now.
I am conditioning it like crazy. Good
luck.
Colleen View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colleen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2002 at 1:59am
Hello!
I`m sorry that you`re going through this! I, too, have long medium brown hair that I have been trying to dye "blonde" for the past three years. In my struggles, I, like you, have experienced a wide variety of ORANGE! and GOLD! shades that were very, very hideous. I`ve been to many different colorists many different times trying to get that elusive perfect shade of blonde, but I`ve never quite gotten there. Most stylists tell me that it just won`t happen with a regular permanent haircolor - brown hair tends to "throw" gold shades when colored, and if you lighten it, it will just get more gold. The best thing for you to do is either have it dyed an ash blonde, which will neutralize the gold, a darker blonde, or have it re-dyed brown and get a heavy highlight put in using a cap. I hope this helps. I`m really sorry you`re going through this, but believe me, I know how you feel. Good luck with it.
-Colleen
lydia View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lydia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2002 at 5:20pm
I too, am a victim of orange hues (only mine are in highlights throughout my entire hailr!) I was an auburn and did my own base first (medium brown going in in the pursual of beigy-blonde highlights). The stylist decided to use the cap and applied the highlight colour (it turned a very light orangy peroxide shade), I knew it was going to be bad. After telling her...she was defensive, I insisted that she fix it and do a beigy tone of blonde. I didn`t want copper! She kept telling me it looked great!!
Even after using an ash tone and toner was applied, it turned out looking ashy. When I left and went into the sunlight, and light at work, people said, your hair is orangy, yellowy gold! Is that how you wanted it! I said, no way!! I have an olive complexion and it is horrid!! Yuck!
I insist on a correction immediately with this stupid salon!
Disappointed in my highlights.
AmberJune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmberJune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2002 at 5:56pm
Not too long ago I had the same problem. Only my stylist was completely happy to dye my hair free of charge to make the color look better. First, my hair was BLEACH blonde.. it was way too light for me, then she put in an ash color and it turned light grey and light purple/blonde.. STILL AWFUL... then she made it a little better but it was still sort of bright. It took me a long time to get use to it. About a month later I put in LOW lights to make my hair look like it was just high lighted all over... but after only two weeks it faded out. So now I`m stuck with about 2 inches of brown roots and the rest shoulder length blonde. It doesn`t look the best... but my hair was majorley FRIED from bleaching so many times in ONE day. I just would rather let this awful chemically damaged hair grow out... and get the bad stuff chopped off. My major goal is to let it grow out to right about my bra strap... it`s just so hard to let it grow out in HEALTHY condition because it was so damaged. CONDITION CONDITION CONDITION is all I can do. I read in a previous post before mine that you could try Prell. I recommend trying that before dying several times or anything else.
*AmberJune* http://twitter.com/AmberJune01
wetset View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2002 at 4:19pm
It looks like Merlin pretty much covered the fix for you. What does it take to be the blonde bombshell??? I myself would have done it myself. I would have used an intense summer blonde color leaning towards the natural base as to hide the warmth that your hair tends to hide. I like to use the Wella line of color. Otherwise the use of hair bleach to pull out the color and then using a level 2 semi-color to put back tone into the strand for a better color. The most important thing above all
DO A TEST STRAND for timing and to avoid unwanted results.
bge View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2002 at 2:28pm
your hair is turning brassy - ie, orange or too gold - because you are trying to lighten your hair too much

if your hair is med to light brown, most drugstore coloring products are only going to lighten your hair 2 levels - about a med blonde

if you wanted to be a true blonde, you`re going to have to remove all the pigment from your hair using a lightener first, like Blondissima or I believe Clairol also makes one

then you will have to apply a blonde shade to tone your pre- lightened hair

this is generally known as 2 step blonding, and is really the only way anyone with hair darker than dark blonde or light brown can become a true blonde

if you decide to go this route, keep in mind the expense and the time your going to need to keep this up

personally, I would call L`Oreal or Clairol and see what else they recommend

you should be able to achieve a natural looking med blonde shade in a one step process
Jayme View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jayme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2002 at 11:32am
I used to highlight my hair but thenI decided to color it. IT IS ORANGE! So.....my hair stylist decided to have me highlight my hair to get rid of some of the orangish gold tint. It worked wonderfully! I will never dye my hair again.
Jayme.
tinkerblond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tinkerblond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2003 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by bge bge wrote:

your hair is turning brassy - ie, orange or too gold - because you are trying to lighten your hair too much

if your hair is med to light brown, most drugstore coloring products are only going to lighten your hair 2 levels - about a med blonde

if you wanted to be a true blonde, you're going to have to remove all the pigment from your hair using a lightener first, like Blondissima or I believe Clairol also makes one

then you will have to apply a blonde shade to tone your pre- lightened hair

this is generally known as 2 step blonding, and is really the only way anyone with hair darker than dark blonde or light brown can become a true blonde

if you decide to go this route, keep in mind the expense and the time your going to need to keep this up

personally, I would call L'Oreal or Clairol and see what else they recommend

you should be able to achieve a natural looking med blonde shade in a one step process

What would I use if I wanted a single step medium blonde?

Going to a salon is not an option right now. I need a permanent color and what level developer to buy from Sally's so i can do my dark brown roots.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Pam View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2003 at 11:47am
RE: Orange hair:
Clairol makes a great product called a color remover! It is usually found w/the the section of haircolors isle.
A few months back I had to use it as a new brand of haircolor(the new Loreal 10 min haircolor) turned my normal blond hair RED!!!

Mind you, this will take out **ALL** the color in your hair and then you can turn around and recolor your hair.

Hope this helps and good luck!
Pam
Karrinne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karrinne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2003 at 5:19pm
My daughter refused to have me do her hair dye at home and went to a stylist. She too came home with her hair school bus yellow!!!
A quick Miss Clairol job with ash blonde diffused the brassiness, and made it the color she liked.
I truthfully have seen very few golden blondes that came from the hairdresser that looked like anything. I have colored mine at home for years and think the color and condition of my hair is extremely good. A "home - done" hair color can look very good.
claribuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claribuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2003 at 8:34pm
well i had my turned oranged becaused i used a relaxers a couple of times. scary. i dunno but what type of blonde were trying to go. platinum? if platinum i heard that you should bleach it then color it.
ARGHH
Esther View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Esther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2003 at 5:19pm
I took Mervins advice after I tried Couleur Experte by L'Oreal. All my highlights went orange. I guess that's what "warm" refers to on the package.
Stay away.
Anyway, I mixed:
1-1/2 oz. Complements Semi-Permanent Gel Color 6N-S Dark Natural Blonde
1/2 oz. Complements Semi-Permanent Gel Color 6A-S Dark Ash Blonde
2 oz. Complements Color Prompter and it came out really nice. I am getting compliments. Can't tell you how thankful I am.

Thanks Mervin!!
Great side.
Kim57OH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim57OH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2003 at 9:01am
Merlin, after looking at this post. . . I have some questions I''d like to ask you. The formula you posted about correcting the orange color/brassiness in highlighted hair.
1st - Is this a "temporary fix" with the semi-perm color?
2nd - Does this really help tone down brassiness?
3rd - Apply to the whole head or can I kinda "lowlight" my hair with this method.

My hair is starting to look alitle better with the orange, but everytime I go to someone to put some "warm" tones in it, they encourage me to go lighter to "lift" the orange up. . .to a lighter color. . .now I have like 4-5 colors in my hair. Afraid to to anything else at this point. . . Trying to wait the usual 2-3 months before coloring again, but sooooo unhappy with the colcr.. . . and my once healthy, thick hair is frying. . . . . .
breece View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote breece Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2003 at 8:55am
OK I am a dark aburn red head naturally but I am a blond bomb shell. I love Fantastic Sams, they do my hair. The color they but on looks blue but turns out a beautiful blond, and I have had the orange thing happen with 3 other colorist and my hair isn't near as dry because they do not bleach it. Good luck
Loiving a good life is not regretting it
at 60.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic