Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I want a lighter shade of red and brown

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dyer34 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyer34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I want a lighter shade of red and brown
    Posted: March 20 2003 at 5:52pm
Like a idoit, about 3 weeks ago I dyed my hair with Loreal's Intense Dark red, and my hair came out way too dark. Anyway it has faded into a copper-like color but it's still too dark for me. I want to dye it lighter, but i don't know if I can. Does anyone have any suggestions, or can anybody tell me any home remedies to help my hair color fade more?
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2003 at 10:21pm
Question.............

What was your hair color before you colored it?
Come on and be honest....every color you had on it.
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
wittils View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2003 at 12:08pm
You hear it a million times... go to a professional so you don't create a bigger problem (then in retrospect you realize that what you had was not so bad).

They say it is impossible to dye your hair a lighter shade if it is dyed dark first... well not impossible, just complicated and it takes a professional.

As for me... I gradually lightened my hair after I dyed it a dark golden brown. Lots of reddish tones as it faded.

I lived with the change. And the color did fade some. I took the risk when it came time to touch up the roots and applied a dark golden blonde. It came out fine. Then after a few touch ups of that I switched to Natural Instincts "Sahara" only because I had decided to wean off of the permanent dyes.

Sahara is the lightest blonde offered in that semi-permanent line, but it always works great for me. It brightens the darker hues, and lightens the natural highlights that I have.

That was a long time ago, and it is all a different story now...
Precious is the day... it happens only once in a lifetime.
Dyer34 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyer34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2003 at 12:26pm
My natural haircolor is medium brown, before i dyed my hair red, it was like brownish color. Its sad because last week i went to a salon to get to dye my hair brown, and the color didn't change my hair at all. urg....makes me so mad.
Julie Ponzo View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Julie Ponzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2003 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by wittils wittils wrote:

You hear it a million times... go to a professional so you don't create a bigger problem (then in retrospect you realize that what you had was not so bad).

They say it is impossible to dye your hair a lighter shade if it is dyed dark first... well not impossible, just complicated and it takes a professional.

As for me... I gradually lightened my hair after I dyed it a dark golden brown. Lots of reddish tones as it faded.

I lived with the change. And the color did fade some. I took the risk when it came time to touch up the roots and applied a dark golden blonde. It came out fine. Then after a few touch ups of that I switched to Natural Instincts "Sahara" only because I had decided to wean off of the permanent dyes.

Sahara is the lightest blonde offered in that semi-permanent line, but it always works great for me. It brightens the darker hues, and lightens the natural highlights that I have.

That was a long time ago, and it is all a different story now...

How do you gradually get back to blonde? I have a hair horror myself. I am naturally dark or dirty blonde, with long hair that is highlighted w/a golden blonde.....I wanted to get back to my natural color, and the lady at Sally's suppy shop told me to use Wella 511 (Light Brown) w/10 developer. Well, horrors, my hair turned DARK, DARK BROWN. I hate it. I used Tres Semme clarifying shampoo for about a week, and it did tone it down some, but still DARK BROWN. I hate it. My stylist gave me a few Caramel highlight around my face. I still hate it. How can I get to a dark blonde, my natural color......this is way to dark for me, i have pale skin, and it just looks ridiculous.

HELP,

Thanks,

Julie Ponzo

This was about 3 weeks ago.
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Julie Ponzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2003 at 6:16pm
Also, I have long naturally curly hair. I hate to have to cut it, with layers from below my shoulder down my back.
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Julie Ponzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2003 at 6:23pm
One more thing. Money is pretty tight right now as I am on disability due to a neck injury. Which is exactly why I was trying to get to my natural color. I can no longer afford the frostings. I would appreciate some guidance on fixing this myself.

Is hair dye remover an option? And then dye to dirty blonde? Thanks...Julie

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic