Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Moisterizers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
kally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2005 at 6:19pm
I just bought some products yesterday to make a my own mixture. In it I have Shea butter, Carrot oil,vitamin E, and Jojoba oil. Hopefully this helps. I will let you know what happens 
"God makes no mistakes" he created you the way you are suppose to be.
Pokahontas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2005 at 10:34am

Originally posted by cebnn cebnn wrote:

I've noticed a few people saying they use "white products" like Aussie, suave, and vo5. I have tried a few of these products, and found they leave my hair dry, it feels stripped. My hair dresser said the ph in them was too high for african american hair, and was striping it of any oils or moisture it had. does any one else experience this?

I have experienced this also.  I haven't tried Aussie(was thinkin about it) but Suave and VO5 seem to be too drying on my hair.  But i wouldn't say all products that aren't african american products are bad.  I've had good results from Dove, Fructis, Thermasilk, Finesse and Pantene.

Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2005 at 12:02pm
umm....its whatever works for your hair. i buy anything that works, either made for AAs or white people. no biggie. my hair loves V05 conditioners. also, its the same companies that make these products. take a look at elasta QP and kenra. its actually the same company. and elasta QP is marketed towards blacks and kenra is marketed towards whites and can only be found in hair salons............

Edited by Renee
afrolatina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrolatina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2005 at 2:48pm

That actually makes sense about the PH level and it can make a big difference.  But, I definitely think it is specific to the individual more than to any group (ie AA or caucasian). 

It is helpful to know what PH level works for you.  Porosity Control Conditioner which is PH4.5 is great on my hair.  When I try any new product that mentions PH level, I compare to Porosity Control.  If it's the same, then I know it will also work for me.  The downside though is that most products do not list their PH levels.  I recently began using Terax Hydrate (leave in) because it's PH 4.5.  I love it.

CEBNN, what drugstore conditioners seem to work for you?  I also have not had much luck with Aussie, VO5 or Suave (although it has been a few years since I tried these). 

I recently used Got2B So Smooth One Minute Emergency Repair Creme and that worked well (week before relaxer, hair very thick, lots of new growth).  It detangled well, moisturized, reduced breakage & shedding.  It may be too heavy for some and feels like it could coat the hair. I rinsed extra well and when it dried, my hair felt great.  I have to use a few more times to see if I really like it. 

Oh, also used Hollywood Carrot Oil (on ends) and loved it!  Thank you all for recommending light oils for moisturizing hair.  It is just what my hair needed & I was so surprised at the difference it made. 

Jewell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jewell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2005 at 10:02am
I like to use S-Curl on my hair for daily moisture. I spray a little on in the morning and distribute it well, comb through and I'll either wear my hair in a bun or hanging down. It dries by the time I get to work, which is 30 minutes later (after I've styled my hair and gotten dressed). My hair is super-soft and it has lots of movement and bounce.
Type: 3c, Relaxed
Current Length: Lower Back (Close to Waist)
Goal: Classic Length

http://public.fotki.com/Jewell21
PW: trulyblessed

-No Stylists.
-Self-Relaxer.
-Simple Hair Care.

BrownEyez2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrownEyez2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2005 at 11:10am

afrolatina, I like the Got2B Emer. Repair creme also. It works great for me and my hair responds well to it. I also like the Breakthru anti-breakage system by SoftSheen Carson. It's a 3 step sys w/ fortifying moist. shampoo, Revitalizing deep cond. & moist. Strength lotion/Heat strengthing creme. I actually found this @ my dollar store! Works great -stop breakage & makes my hair very soft & moisturized.

~~LIVE YOUR BEST LIFE!~~
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2005 at 11:17am

I use suave and white rain conditioners...I mix olive oil or coconut oil in all of my conditioners. Recently I had a sample of Physique hydrating curls and I really liked it but it was just one sample.

My family has been  using suave for years...when i had a relaxer I couldnt use suave it made my hair feel like straw.

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic