Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

hey guys, what is this?...shrinkies?...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2005 at 2:07pm
poly amide is kinda a broad term.  some are goign to be more susceptible to oil than others.  Just like some are more susceptible to acetone than others

from wikipdedia

polyamide

A polyamide is a polymer containing monomers joined by peptide bonds. They can occur both naturally, examples being wool and silk, and can be made artifically, examples being Nylon and Kevlar.

Production from monomers

The amide link is produced from the condensation reaction of an amino group and a carboxylic acid or acid chloride group. A small molecule, usually water, ammonia or hydrogen chloride, is eliminated.

The amino group and the carboxylic acid group can be on the same monomer, or the polymer can be consituted of different two different bifunctional monomers, one with two amino groups, the other with two carboxylic acid or acid chloride groups.

Amino Acids can be taken as examples of single monomer (if the difference between R groups is ignored) reacting with identical molecules to form a polyamide:

zapevaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zapevaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2005 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by BirdOfEden BirdOfEden wrote:

Hmmmm, so you are saying that cheap craft glue sticks are safe to use on our hair?  If that's true, we wouldn't have to order the more expensive keratin sticks online.   We could just save our money and go to the craft store. 

Actually, I'm pretty sure what she's saying is that it worked for pre-tipping hair- not for actual fusion-style bonding. Someone else here on the board (metalgirl?) had a girl come in with home-done fusion done with craft glue, and it was reeeeeally bad.

Also, about Amm's shriknie residue remover: it's orange oil. Yes, just orange oil. It sounds wimpy, but it's some strong stuff; if anyone has ever used that "Fast Orange" auto-garage hand soap, then you know what I mean- it cuts through engine grease like nothing else. If I were to use any adhesive-based system, for sho' I would use the orange oil over acetone. I feel how soft my nails get after using acetone polish remover, and the thought of someone's hair being similarly soft makes me skittish.

-Rae

Edited by zapevaj
BirdOfEden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BirdOfEden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2005 at 3:05pm

She did mention though that some of the craft glue melted into the hair when the heat was applied to the shrinkies, but that it came out with remover.  That's what I was going on. 

I might have to pick up some orange oil to try it out and compare with acetone. 

Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2005 at 3:29pm
OKay so Amanda, you pretipped with craft glue, correct? And when you took the shrinkie and the strand out, the tip was still intact, even somewhat? Or did the tip disintigrate when you removed it? And the residue on the hair from the shrinkie/tip came out with shrinkie remover? Amazing. I wanted to try craft glue cuz my strands tipped with latex don't stay in for s*** - the shrinkies stay in fine, however.

And pls keep us posted with shrinkie fall out updates. Thanks!
Amanda8Beechwoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8Beechwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2005 at 4:54pm

I just used this for tipping the hair.  I would just use keratin for fusion.  These are clear glue sticks from the local craft/diy store that are used in a hot melt glue gun just to clarify what they are.  The tip was still in tact when I moved the strand.  The residue completely came out with the shrinkie remover.  I will definitely keep you posted.  I've just put some in someone's hair to try it with extentubes so I'll keep you posted whether they hold up in them as well xxx

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic