Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

i have a question about my layers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
crazylady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazylady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: i have a question about my layers
    Posted: August 06 2005 at 11:46am

hi everyone, i am new to the forum, and love that you have somewhat of a "support group" for people who want long hair.  I have been coloring my hair for years, but recently decided to stop, cuz i'd rather have length, and my hair always gets so dry from dye. ANYWAY... presently i have a shortish cut with layers. the top layers are about5 inches long, and the very bottom of the nape is about 3 inches long. I wonder how i should go about growing it out. i want to see the progress of length, but i have also thought should i just keep cutting the bottom til it meets to tops length?at that rate, i would appear to have short hair for a long time. but if i just let the layers go, getting it trimmed regularly, it will look longer quicker, right? what do you guys suggest, as the experts?

Amazing Grace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amazing Grace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2005 at 5:14am
I'm also growing out layers.

I've been getting a hair trim every two months and telling my hairstylist to not take off much length - like only 1/2". It's going to be a long time before all my layers are the same length, but I'd rather see the length increase.

I'm debating about getting a two or three inch trim when my hair gets just below BSL in order to get old perm cut out and also to even out some layers. I figure that will leave me with enough length to still be able to do stuff with my hair, but also get rid of a significant amount of damage.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2005 at 5:32pm
The stylist should trim only from the bottom/longest layers.  The shorter/top layers should be untrimmed (or minimally trimmed) to allow them to catch up to the rest.
sarondie11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarondie11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2005 at 1:43am

i agree with Dave. just keep an eye on the shorter layers to make sure damage/splits aren't travelling too far up the hair shaft. if they are, that's where the "minimal" trim might become a necessary evil. hang in there, and enjoy the length of your longest layers!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic