Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Where is the variety?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
hairalways View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairalways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where is the variety?
    Posted: October 11 2005 at 12:43pm

I am a lover of all hair styles and find it something near nirvana when i see a girl or a guy who has found a look or style that truly enhances them. 

So what i want to know is....where is the variety in fashion anymore? I have here my latest copies of Bazaar, Elle, Vogue and People. I can count on my hands how many styles I see that are short or even slightly different than long, long with layers and very long. 

Don't get me wrong, I love long hair and am the proud owner of 25 inches of it...but it's getting kind of "stepford" out in the fashion world. Does anyone else see this and for all of you shorthaired beauties, isn't it irritating that short hair isn't modeled more in magazines?

Jacqui 

Edited by hairalways
S_Miller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S_Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2005 at 1:20pm
Jacqui:  I totally agree but like everything else in the fashion world, its are far cry from reality.  1% of the world has the same body type (and thank god) as the models, and their hair and the products they promote are not totally insync with us average woman.  It would be great to see a variety of body types, and hair lengths and styles from the designers and models.
Stephanie
DarkHelmet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkHelmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2005 at 1:35am

Those who control the media controls the masses.

Just say no to the Kool Aid folks.

Those magazine's suggestions on how to look and packaging to the general public is a a cry for help from the people who wish everyone looked, dressed and acted the same way.

DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2005 at 6:54pm
In my daily walk of real life, I see women possessing a wide variety of hair lengths.  Probably moreso now than at any time in several decades (the result of more longer lengths).  Maybe (?) this fashion trend you observe in magazines has "served" to "balance" the tastes of "the masses."  On any given day the range I see is from ultra-short crops to waist-length (occasionally, longer).

I remember a time when the reverse (of what you describe, Jacqui) was occurring... the fashion mags showing mostly short hair (certainly much shorter than they show these days).

Those who like and prefer short hair should wear their hair short as they please, and should not feel pressured to wear their hair longer simply because it is being prominently displayed in the fashion world.

eatgreenjello View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eatgreenjello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2005 at 2:46pm

Yes, I want to see more short hair in beauty magazines.  I watch this show called, "America's Next Top Model", and they did a hair makeover on all the girls.  I was so happy to see that some of the girls got very short hair cuts, and they looked GREAT!  I'm sure in real life they would have never thought to cut their hair that short.

Originally posted by DarkHelmet DarkHelmet wrote:

Those who control the media controls the masses.

Just say no to the Kool Aid folks.

That's very true!  And Bill O'Reilly would be flattered!

**Hair type: 2a, which is wavy and fine.
**Color: Naturally dark brown, currently dyed reddish brown.
**Length: below shoulder length
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2005 at 5:29am

I don't remember there ever being magazines full of short hair.  Either that's just comparatively speaking, or must've happened before I was born.  I guess when I was coming up, the percentage of short hair in magazines was probably the same as now-- you might see one once in a while, but the vast majority were long.  I remember cutting out and keeping pics of short-haired women sometimes, when I could get away with it, 'cause that was my ideal for what I wanted to look like one day.

More awesome than a manatee!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairalways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2005 at 9:58pm

back in the 50's maybe, the norm was for women (not girls) to wear a short "set" hairstyle and that was seen alot in the fashion world-magazines as well as TV reinforced it. Now it seems the majority of women and men in TV and magazines fit a certain look.  It is just tiresome. I think I need to start looking to different media for intellectual as well as visual inspiration. Glad to see I am not alone in these observations.

Jacqui

bean3270 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bean3270 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2005 at 10:28pm

hairalways:

You could cut your hair short.

HAWG View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAWG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2005 at 12:35pm
I agree; Jacqui would look great with a nice short cut.
HAWG
HAWG View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAWG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2005 at 12:40pm

Has any ever noticed "Prevention" Magazine at the grocery store checkout stand?  Every cover that I have seen in the past has always had a short haired beauty on the cover.  I can honestly say that for as long as I can remember, there has not been anyone but a short haired beauty on the cover; and not the same short haired beauty each month.

HAWG
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2005 at 1:01am

I haven't looked at that magazine before. . . but I did notice that when you click the pic you posted, it opens a page that shows pics of long-haired women on the covers, so I guess they have some of those, too.

Ah well, I guess there are no magazines with only short-haired women.  Even the short hairstyle magazines, ironically enough, contain some long styles :-P .

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairalways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2005 at 10:34am

Oh no...My hair does not look good short..not on me and not the hair itself either. it is thick and strong - and has a will of it's own..it's like saying a redwood tree looks better short than long....

But thanks so much for the supportive words.

I saw a great magazine in the store the other day, but I can't remember the name! it was in Japanese and had lots of variety as far as hair. Lots of choppy as well as deconstructed styles. very fun to look at. Will go back and see it and post the name. Saw it at Barnes & Noble.

Jacqui

jacqui

Edited by hairalways
jimr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2005 at 9:16pm
Manifesto d'Cheveux Féminin
I believe that we are living during one of those very conservative periods where conformity is very important. As much as we all believe that we live in an open, free and 'liberal' society we are actually in the middle of something like the Victorian period. The more that we all think that we’re free to do and act as we please the less that we actually can. Being free is an unconscious act that thankfully your not supposed to worry about! When you become concerned about your freedom and liberty it usually means you or your culture are in trouble.
Fashion/style is the most important indicator of a cultures strength and vitality. Anyone whose has studied art or anthropology knows this. The more dynamic a culture is the more enlightened and vital it is. The more change that takes place in a society the greater the advances in civilization/progress that occur. The less change and variety there is the more suppressed a culture becomes. Anytime that change is impeded or stopped the less benefits occur overall.
In this respect the prevalence of long hair as a fashion statement is a reflection of the general state of suppression of change and dynamism. I can not think of more repressed period of time then the Victorian Period, during which long hair was a norm. Much to everyone’s surprise i.e. modern sensibilities, this period had an incredible degree of sexual repression, with it’s attendant decadence, deviancy and hypocrisy.
Our culture and society are under threat (fill in the blank here) it’s only natural to pull in and circle the wagons, as in strict sexual identities suppression of experimentation and fun! We are moving into a very critical period of a cultures maturation, unfortunately history has not been kind to civilizations that refuse to continue to evolve. élan vital.
I am fan of women’s hair fashions. I find long hair boring, and I especially like women with short hair, all kinds of short hair, super short, a-lines, bobs, tapers, pixies, girls at the barbers, everything, it’s all great! The more short styles the better! Viva la différence.

Edited by jimr
always_alone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote always_alone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2005 at 6:49am

Speaking of free and "liberal" society. You know what I find interesting that has nothing to do with hair? ...but I will mention hair later. I find it interesting that all those free thinkers (liberals I've encountered that is)...they are open minded only to what they are not against. They tell me (conservative) that I am close minded...but what really is going on is that they are being close minded to me and what I think. I just find it interesting and ironic.

Okay, so onto hair. I think long hair is a pain and so boring. But hey...so many women look at these magazines containing sticks figures with long hair. If all we saw was short styles, I'm sure more women would not feel like it is odd to get short.

Edited by always_alone
Elizabeth
2b/M/ii
pixie/20"/waist
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2005 at 11:19am
Originally posted by jimr jimr wrote:

Manifesto d'Cheveux Féminin
I believe that we are living during one of those very conservative periods where conformity is very important. As much as we all believe that we live in an open, free and 'liberal' society we are actually in the middle of something like the Victorian period. The more that we all think that we’re free to do and act as we please the less that we actually can. Being free is an unconscious act that thankfully your not supposed to worry about! When you become concerned about your freedom and liberty it usually means you or your culture are in trouble.
Fashion/style is the most important indicator of a cultures strength and vitality. Anyone whose has studied art or anthropology knows this. The more dynamic a culture is the more enlightened and vital it is. The more change that takes place in a society the greater the advances in civilization/progress that occur. The less change and variety there is the more suppressed a culture becomes. Anytime that change is impeded or stopped the less benefits occur overall.
In this respect the prevalence of long hair as a fashion statement is a reflection of the general state of suppression of change and dynamism. I can not think of more repressed period of time then the Victorian Period, during which long hair was a norm. Much to everyone’s surprise i.e. modern sensibilities, this period had an incredible degree of sexual repression, with it’s attendant decadence, deviancy and hypocrisy.
Our culture and society are under threat (fill in the blank here) it’s only natural to pull in and circle the wagons, as in strict sexual identities suppression of experimentation and fun! We are moving into a very critical period of a cultures maturation, unfortunately history has not been kind to civilizations that refuse to continue to evolve. élan vital.
I am fan of women’s hair fashions. I find long hair boring, and I especially like women with short hair, all kinds of short hair, super short, a-lines, bobs, tapers, pixies, girls at the barbers, everything, it’s all great! The more short styles the better! Viva la différence.

I agree that in the general sense, the more liberal a society, the more it evolves.  History is replete with examples, including the current backward state of the Arab world.

That said, I have a few comments...

As much as we all believe that we live in an open, free and 'liberal' society we are actually in the middle of something like the Victorian period. The more that we all think that we’re free to do and act as we please the less that we actually can.

The extent to which people believe that they are free to do and act as they please, the more free you actually are.  Come on,  are you meaning to suggest that everything which people know in their hearts and heads to be true is actually false?

Anytime that change is impeded or stopped the less benefits occur overall. In this respect the prevalence of long hair as a fashion statement is a reflection of the general state of suppression of change and dynamism.

Your argument is illogical.  To equate the recent fashion preference of long hair to an impediment in the continued progression of modern societies is absolutely ridiculous.

I can not think of more repressed period of time then the Victorian Period, during which long hair was a norm.

Even if the first part of the statement is true... (which I don't believe it is)... would that be simply correlation, or cause and effect?   Another ridiculous statement....

Much to everyone’s surprise i.e. modern sensibilities, this period had an incredible degree of sexual repression, with it’s attendant decadence, deviancy and hypocrisy.

Much to my surprise, you write that statement as if it were fact.  Was the Victorian period worse than the time before?  Do you believe that today modern societies are less repressed than during the Victorian era... and if so, do you actually believe that "decadence, deviancy and hypocrisy" have lessened?

I could continue to deconstruct your manifesto line-by-line, but I think I'll sum up with this:

I am happy for you that you enjoy short hairstyles.  But your vision of "everything, it's all great!" apparently does not actually include everything, for if it did, it would include medium, long, and extra-long lengths and styles.  Ironically, it seems that your vision of societal progression depends on a narrow definition of the range of women's hair fashions.

jimr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2005 at 12:27pm
Touche Dave;

C'est fantastique!
Jim
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2005 at 2:16am

I love Japanese hair sites-- they seem to be so much more creative with hair than American ones ^_^ !  I've never really looked in their magazine department before, but if the one near here carries Japanese hair magazines, I might have to go check that out!

Originally posted by hairalways hairalways wrote:

I saw a great magazine in the store the other day, but I can't remember the name! it was in Japanese and had lots of variety as far as hair. Lots of choppy as well as deconstructed styles. very fun to look at. Will go back and see it and post the name. Saw it at Barnes & Noble.

gunnie71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunnie71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2006 at 1:52pm

I like variety for women!

I don't judge people on their clothes or hair, etc.

I look for fun, smart, interesting people. Long hair=Beautiful, is an old wives tale(as far as I'm concerned). I believe, Beauty is acceptance. Take care of your Soul, mind and body. I personally try my best to put Jesus first in my life, Hair fetish is a guilty pleasure, which doesn't harm me or anyone else.

Take care and God Bless!

Katie ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic