Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Salonist told me to stop co washing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
femmemuscle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmemuscle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Salonist told me to stop co washing?
    Posted: September 20 2007 at 10:37am
Well, if anyone is ever in the area...they should see Tony..This is the first time - yes the first time i have been in a salon where i am the only person who is being worked on..

This salon does not allow any of the beauticians to do two or three heads at once. It's very upscale, they serve wine, soda or water while you wait, and Tony is the only minority beautician there..he does a great job.

while you're being worked on, a woman comes by and refills your glass..

While "dusting" my ends, Tony sat down at eye-level and trimmed only the visibly raggedy-type ends...no more than that..

He is very impressive..The other chick, cut off 1 1/2 inches of my hair at the beginning..and gave me the wrong type of perm..ARRGH!!Angry

thank gawd i read the forums and can keep my hair healthy..He's also reading "Cathy Howse"!!

some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2007 at 11:54pm
@ Femme- it sounds like Tony is supportive of you.

Ole girl sound like she was giving you a recipe for disaster. Probably how she makes a profit, cause none of it made sense.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

femmemuscle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmemuscle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2007 at 1:42pm
yep..she sounds like the last few "beauticians"  i just left in the dust..someone did remark that most beauticians are "stylists"..they do not know how to "treat" the hair.

i found a guy named "Tony" who works out of a very nice salon. he and i had me go to some other beautician named "Dana" who supposedly "knew" how to texturize..

She and weren't seeing "eye to eye" regarding my regimen.  She wanted

1) To see me EVERY week..

2) would not allow me to deep condition

3) said that using an egg was for white folks

4) and her  vitamin B serum was "like a deep conditioner" which she only kept on my head for 3 mins.

I figured that the blow dryer wasn't the only thing in her salon blowing hot air..plus her work ethics annoyed me to no end..doing three client's heads at one time...

i went back to Tony, and discussed my hair regimen..he liked it..and told me to come back every 3 - 6 months for a texturizer touch up..i'm sticking with Tony..he may be gay, honey...but he can play in my hair anytime.Thumbs%20Up

some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.
ccmuffingirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccmuffingirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2007 at 5:02pm

Salonists tell people a lot of things they have no business saying.  I heard of one salonists who yelled at her client because she didn't want her ends trimmed any longer.  The fact of the matter is that they think they know best, but only you know what's truly best for you hair.  I co-wash my hair and I don't go to salons, and my hair has grown at least three to four inches.  Co-washing keeps your hair moisturized and soft.  If you want extra cleansing you can hit up an herbal rinse.  I rinse my hair with green tea, and it always leaves it feeling clean, but not dry. 

Edited by ccmuffingirl - September 15 2007 at 5:02pm
"And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair"--Kahlil Gibran
http://public.fotki.com/ccmuffingirl/
kathyblack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kathyblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2007 at 6:50pm
Obviously she doesn't know what she's talking about. All the blondes I know both use shampoo and conditioner and just because other people have straight hair and we have naturally curly hair doesn't mean we should do the exact opposite from everyone else. Respect her opinions but remember her hair isn't yours.

Edited by kathyblack - September 13 2007 at 6:50pm

MY mother bids me bind my hair
With bands of rosy hue,
Tie up my sleeves with ribbons rare,
And lace my bodice blue.

http://public.fotki.com/kathyblack/
Claudie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claudie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2006 at 10:08pm
Hey Angie Big%20smile, I am glad that you are here.

angie10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angie10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2006 at 6:49pm
Hey claudieBig%20smile
Current length: Shoulders
Short term goal: Apl length by aug2007
myfotki
Claudie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claudie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2006 at 2:19am
Whatever works for you keep on doing it.  Hair thrives on a clean, healthy scalp.

lyrical27 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lyrical27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2006 at 5:07pm

sounds like she's just trying to keep you from learning how to take care of your hair by treating it your self and keep  you relying on her advice and services.

some stylists where i live have been known to give women bad advice to their clients that they knew wasn't the best so that their clients could rely just on them for hair care.

BeautyWitch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeautyWitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2006 at 4:18pm
If it works for you and your hair loves it then keep on doing it!! Some stylists get so mad  when you tell them that your taking care of your hair because they feel threatened. And some just say the stupidest things ever
LadyEsquire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyEsquire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2006 at 8:26pm

journal: www.fotki.com/ladyesquire
email: ladyesquirehair@yahoo
LadyEsquire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyEsquire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2006 at 8:25pm
Most hair stylists... are simply hair STYLISTS.  Many of them never bothered to learn how to truly TREAT our hair.  Also many of them still subscribe to all of the myths that plague black women today...Girl, run.  Run fast.  Hope it doesn't cause any problems with your mom though, cause for some family members, changing hair dressers is a sensitive topic.

Good Luck and keep co-washing....
journal: www.fotki.com/ladyesquire
email: ladyesquirehair@yahoo
Urbanplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urbanplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2006 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by Vanity3 Vanity3 wrote:

I'm scared of any hair dresser that is willing to slap a relaxer in every client's head without examining if they really need one.  

Oh my goodness! I thought I was the only one who had that type of stylist: I-don't-care-if-your-hair-is-fine-I'll-just-use-SUPER-call-me-over-to-neutralize-the-sodium-hydroxide-when-your-stratum-corneum-is-partially-dissolved.

~By the way, GIMME your money.
I'm in!
Deelite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deelite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2006 at 6:43pm
I don't think that conditioning is the problem. Our hair craves moisture and it's kind of hard to overmoisturize unless you use protein moisturizers all the time, which would harden the hair. But even in her ignorance, the hairstylist has a bit of a point. I  tried co-washing because I read about it in a forum. I thought, Wow, I can actually do this and not have to apply heat by blowdrying or sitting under a hooded dryer twice or three times a week (I work out regularly). Well, affter 3 weeks of doing that, my relaxer was GONE and I had to rely on wigs and bandanas to make it through to the next touch-up! My hair in its natural state is very curly and tight. I'm thinking all of you who do it successfully must have a fairly soft natural hair texture to start with. Now I'm back to the same old dilemna. I'm aware that applying that much heat on my hair is damaging but I don't see what else to do unless I stop working out altogether...  I don't know what to choose: a toned body or beautiful hair!

Vanity3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vanity3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2006 at 6:00pm

I'm scared of any hair dresser that is willing to slap a relaxer in every client's head without examining if they really need one.  I should have never gotten a relaxer in my youth!    My hair was fine, a blow out is all I needed.

Is there not a beauty school teaching these less conventional methods?  Oh, of course not, then stylist wouldn't make money. 

Natural since March 2006

No "heat" challenge for Winter 08-09

public.fotki.com/Vanity3

keepitsimplesista.ning.com/profile/Vanity1920
TwinkletOes23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwinkletOes23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 4:05pm
lol @ sugar ...her hair is cropped short and is naturally curl she doesnt even need a relaxer really she could go with blowing it out straight if she wanted
Supersugar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Supersugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 4:03pm

You want bad hairdresser's advice?  I had one tell me that I needed to come to him every week for a wash because my scalp was practically falling apart and he thought I wasn't washing my hair.  So I would have been paying for a wash, cap dryer, heat styling and whatever goop he used on my scalp every week, on top of what he charged for a relaxer every six weeks.  The problem wasn't that I wasn't washing my hair, it was that I had eczema.  I never took his advice.  I'm glad I didn't.

Want more?  I had a hairdresser tell me that olive oil and brushing was fanstatic for hair.  While I've no doubt that it is, her hair was short and natural.  Mine is relaxed, and olive oil made it insanely brittle, so I was too afraid to brush.  I didn't bother to start trying, either.  I stuck with sweet almond and jojoba, and my hair has loved me for it.

Bottom line?  Stick with what works for YOUR hair.  Your hairdresser probably means well, but she doesn't know everything.   And by the way, what does HER hair look like? 

Make every day you have count, before the time comes for you to count every day you have.
Champagne_Wishe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Champagne_Wishe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 1:55pm

Originally posted by TwinkletOes23 TwinkletOes23 wrote:

Should i listen i mean my mom told her about it and she told her to tell me im not a white blonde and i cant just go around throwing conditioner in my hair... i told her thats not what i do. The night before i wash my hair i put a deep conditioner in and let  it soak in over night,rinse my hair ,and then go about my shampooing regimine..... she said it was too much manipulation but i dont know my hair comes out soft and managable when i do it should i listen to her?

I would only stop if your hair is making a turn for the worse.  If you see improvement, then why stop?

Sharon71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharon71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 1:52pm
I'm not sure what 'poofy'means but i guessing  this means 'fuffly flyaway' hair . All i can say again if if works for your hair and it comes out fine and without any problems then don't worry  Twinkle about this comment . This comment hardly sounds like the authority over your hair . Sometimes people will say things about our hair that we just don't understand ( and where exactly they are really coming from!)
Sharon71XxX
Natural 10 yrs,mostly 4b,past BSL length(at back)
Joined Shoulder length challenge 15th April 2006.
GOAL: Healthy,thicker shoulder/L unstreched for Dec 12/15th 06'
TwinkletOes23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwinkletOes23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 1:12pm
why would she say that i should stop i dont understand...she claims that co washing makes my hair poofy...i was like uhhh so it gets poofy whenever i air dry it i just flat iron it to calm it down
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic