Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Black salonist = bad attitude?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TwinkletOes23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwinkletOes23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black salonist = bad attitude?
    Posted: August 02 2006 at 9:45am

I have gone to several different salonist in the past five years the first salonist i had was black i only went to her because my mom went to her  and she would use the same relaxer on me and every other client she had regardless of texture or type.She would over book clients wouldnt come in on time. Sometimes you would come in at 1100 am and get out at 4 pm. She would over process the hair and her shampoo girl we suspect was on drugs (seriously) had a horrid attitude. The final straw came when after the salonist got done with the relaxer i started to burn and i ran to the shampoo bowl and told the shampoo girl that i was tingling and she yelled at me "excuse me!? im sorry youre burning but youll have to wait im washing this other persons conditioner out ." so i told my mom thats it im going else where......

The second place i went was the JC PENNYS salon i got excellent service from a girl who happened to be white she didnt make me wait, i didnt get any attitude when i asked her questions about hair care or when i  told her my scalp was tingling....but alas she moved .

The person im going to now is black and doesnt make me wait,my hair is healthy but she has a little attitude as well one time i asked her how long my relaxer would take so i could give the person who dropped me off at her salon an estimate on what time they should come back and get me and she said " how ever long it takes" so now im searching once again for some one who doesnt make me wait,keeps my hair healthy and last  NO ATTITUDE.

My mom says reasoning about the attitude is because "well thats just negros for ya" but i as a psychology major in college knows that sterotypes are a bad thing to base reasonings on but sometimes i wonder is the sterotype true? The white salonist i went to was nice and i have never heard of horror stories of a salonist with a bad attitude form any of white friends it is only my from my blk friends that i hear about a salonist with a bad attitude. There were blk salonist at JC PENNYS and they seemed nice and no attitude...but my mom  said that they only nice because they worked at JC PENNYS and that they knew that if they were least bit mean customers would call the corprate office. Do we as a people not know the meaning of customer service or is it just that where i live happens to be where all the salonist with bad attitudes live?

B4 anyone gets mad again I dont think that ALL black salonist have bad attitudes im sure there are just as many white salonist with bad attitudes ....i just want some feedback here  
taggi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taggi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2006 at 4:24pm
well i  also think it is unfair 2 attribute attitude 2 black hair salonist. i think it would be easier 2 say that some women in general are like that. in a hair salon, i would suspect that they act that way cuz they are tired, and maybe just having a bad day. the woman who does my hair is black and very nice and easy 2 work with.

so i guess all i am saying is maybe it is the woman and not the race that has a bad attitude and business ethic. ya feel me???
ladyflash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladyflash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2006 at 5:44pm
I agree with taqqi. I go to a black stylist and a dominican stylist (one for flat irons and one for rollersets) And they both have very pleasant attitudes. However in the Dominican salon there are other stylists who do have attitudes. I watch the way they treat some of their clients and wonder why the even come back. I just don't deal with stylists like that. You only have one time with me!
I think finding a good stylist is like finding a good friend. You have to be on the same page. For instance, I love when my stylists tell me what I need before I tell them or recap a conversation that we had at my last visit. Not only do you walk out with great looking hair but the experience was just as nice. 
So whether black, white, purple (so cliche), a franchise or a a mom and pop salon your stylist should be someone you get along with, not someone you put up with.
CHECK OUT MY PHOTOS! My Fotki Album
KeishaNSU View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeishaNSU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2006 at 11:12pm

Just to piggyback off what they said as well everyone temperament is different and i don't feel it has to do with their ethnicity. That would be making a large generalization to say that one group is like this and this other group isn't. 

P.S. I'm a psychology major too!!!!!!! What's your classification??
kellie7777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie7777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2006 at 6:36pm
well i ain't no psychology major (actually i could use some counselling) lol, but i agree that women in general are cranky. i had a male hair dresser for years and he was great but i moved. i'd walk in and have tea/coffee or fruit in the summer (like watermelon). the good ole days. 
finding a good hair dresser is like taking a well deserved vacation on your own, after all you need to trust that person and know when they're finished it was worth the wait.  but i say if you instinctively find they are not great in the attitude dept, switch before you regret it.
i've been in salons where i get there at 9am and leave at 3pm. but it was only in the black salons. i wonder why that is. especially when you get there 1st.
http://public.fotki.com/Kell1e/
Transitioning since Aug 06
Last Relaxer Apr 06
TwinkletOes23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwinkletOes23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2006 at 10:56am
P.S. I'm a psychology major too!!!!!!! What's your classification

Im a senior but after i get my bs i plan of trying to go for  a masters in family psychology
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic