Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I've got a few questions.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I've got a few questions.
    Posted: April 26 2007 at 11:44am
#1. Can anybody recommend a decent heat protectant?
I've been using ThermaSilk shampoo and conditioner for some time now,
since I was told that if I straighten my hair (with a straightening iron) I
should probably be using some sort of heat protectant. Problem is, lately
I'm finding ThermaSilk Shampoo/Conditioner very hard to find. I've looked
at Walgreens, Wal-Mart and Winn-Dixie...and that's pretty much all I've got
nearby. So, being that that's not so much of an option anymore...I was hoping
someone could recommend another product. I've also been using the Got2Be
Heat Protectant.

#2. I feel that the front part of my hair seems to be thinning a bit. I know that
        may sound a little strange, being that I'm 19. But, it has actually thinned
        enough to notice. What could/should I do about this?

#3. I'm well-aware of the fact that there seems to be NO way of speeding up
the hair-growth process. And, if I understand correctly, hair, on average, grows
about half an inch a month. I've heard that Biotin is good for promoting healthy
hair growth. Would that be something that I could take? And...I'm afraid I might
kick myself for asking... but... by any chance would it possibly "promote" my
hair-growth to an inch a month, rather than just a half inch?

Ok, I'm done with my silly questions now. My apologies if any of 'um are repetitive.

Thanks!

- Jess - (aka Yoda)

Edited by Yoda - April 26 2007 at 11:48am
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2007 at 4:26pm
Hi Jess, how are you!

Don't worry girl, the only silly question is the one you don't askSmile

Ok, so for your first question, if you are using a flat iron, it is best to use a leave in heat protectant. I use Redken Heat Glide, and I love it. Not only does protect your hair, but it makes it super soft and shiny. And the iron just glides through your hair. Of course it helps if you  have a good quaility iron and not one of those $20-40 ones.  It lasts forever as you only need a little bit. If your hair is short, 1/2 a pump is more than enough( of course hair is different, and you might need more). Always apply to the hair at the bottom first. The stuff is awesome.

For your second question: You might be using the flat iron at too high a setting for your frontal hair line. The hair in this area is the most delicate. Exesive use of heat on this area can lead to hair reduction. Use a lower setting and don't go as close to the hairline. Pulling hair back too tight can also lead to traction alopecia (hair loss). Organic Rosemary Oil is what they use in the islands to remedy this problem. I've never tried it, but people there swear by it. Also, Amla oil is supposed to be very good. I recently started using it, and I must say my hair is very soft and shiny. However the stuff smells like cat piss LOL.

Biotin, is a great vitamin to take, not only for hair but for nails as well. Taking it will make your hair stronger and healthier. It might slightly (and I mean very slightly) increase hair growth, but it will be nowhere near an inch. Hair growth is genetic. However poor nutrition, stress etc can affect it. So taking the vitamin can only help.

Good luck and great hair.
Yoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2007 at 9:30pm
Hey Shary!
Nice to "see" you again. Smile I'm doing well, thank you.

Thanks for taking the time to answer all of my questions.
I appreciate it! I remember you talking about the Redken Heat Glide
before. I wasn't able to find it last time, but I'm gonna have a look at
Walgreens next time I go. They seem to be putting out more and more
salon brand hair products. I'm also going to look into the remedies
you mentioned for hair loss. I think I'll  see if I can find a bottle
of Biotin at Walgreens too! I've read up on it, and I have to agree
with you, it can only help!

Thanks again, luv!

How have YOU been?

Edited by Yoda - April 26 2007 at 9:35pm
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2007 at 9:54pm
You're very welcomeSmile
I've been great! Thanks. It is great to see you are doing good.

If you can't find the Heat Glide, Folica.com just came out with a line of Sedu heat protectants. I haven't tried them, but the reviews are great.

Much love always

Edited by Sharyg11 - April 26 2007 at 10:53pm
Yoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2007 at 11:02pm
It's great to see you doing good too, Shary!! Big%20smile

I'll check out that site tonight as well...see what goodies
they've got! Wink
Thanks for the recommendation.

Lots of  love,
 Jess
Wendyon blast View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wendyon blast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2007 at 1:10pm
Most silicone-based products will help, like Heat Glide.  They are designed to protect the hair from  heat.  I have to agree with Betty though that this new Simply Stylin' line is the best I've come across in a while.  You don't use much at all because it's pure silicone and not diluted like the others.  My clients tend to use too much of other silicone products because they have fillers which reduce their effectiveness.  That's why I'm selling them Simply Stylin' now so they use just the right amount at home.  If you can't find it in stores, go to their website www.simplystylinhair.com.

Wendy
Yoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2007 at 9:12am

Thanks WackyBetty/Wendyon Blast :)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic