Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Can a blonde use a relaxer for black hair?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
fashion Girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fashion Girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can a blonde use a relaxer for black hair?
    Posted: October 01 2007 at 8:19pm
I am a blonde with highlights. I have bangs that I like to remain straight even in humid conditions. In the past I have always used Curl Free from White Rain just on my bangs. They would stay smooth and straight. Unfortunately, it is no longer available and I need a new relaxer. A store clerk from Sally's recommended I use a no lye relaxer for black childrens' hair. Said it woud be gentle. I went ahead a bought it then thought about the fact that I have highlighted hair and this is made for black hair.

Anyone know if this relaxer would be safe to use on my blonde hair? Guess I can return it if not opened.
Fashion Girl
Precious Girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Precious Girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2007 at 5:52pm
I would be wary about it. Black people have a corser hair type than caucasians and it might be damaging. The best thing you could do is call a salon and ask them if it would be safe to use. Call several salons though, because one might tell you not to do it to try and get you to go to their shop and pay to have it done.
March 2007:

Hair Goddess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hair Goddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2007 at 6:56pm
I Don't see where there'd be a difference.
They use chemicals in their hair products as well and they're all created to straighten or curl hair.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic