Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Going from light to dark...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Princess_Faith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Princess_Faith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Going from light to dark...
    Posted: September 03 2002 at 7:57pm
I got heavy blonde highlights put in my medium/dark brown hair in early July. I now want to go to a dark brown shade for the upcoming fall. I think it will look better on me, since my eyes are very dark brown. And the upkeep won`t be so hard. (My roots are showing bad through this medium blonde color I have.) My question is, what would be the best way to do this? Will I have to go back to the salon or can I do it at home? Also, if I do go to the salon, what is the best way to communicate this to my stylist? I don`t want her to mess my hair up! Once, when I did a bad bleach job and went to the salon to get it corrected, it turned out bright red intead of the brown color that I wanted! What I want is a chocolate or chesnut brown color. Please help...Your posts will be greatly appricated!!!
Best wishes,
Faith Danielle
Raquel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raquel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2002 at 11:43am
Part of me thinks that you should go to a salon, but I understand the bad experiences you have had. I have had a couple of those lately. A site that may help you is http://www.robertcraig.com. Go to the consumer section of this website and there is alot of information on fixing color problems and also there are formulas for achieving what you want. The thing you have to remember is that going from light to dark is similar to going from dark to light. Just as you pass through that reddish/orange stage when going from dark to light, you do the same in going from light to dark. You have to fill in those colors. You can just pour brown dye on your blonde if it is a lower level than the reddish/orange or you might end up with some unacceptable results. Robert Craig explains on this site how to do a fill in using his products. Also, there is a section on this site called "Ask Karin". I have submitted questions to her several times and she has always responded to my question the same day. They are the most responsive website I have every submitted questions to. This is what I would really suggest you do if you are determined not to go to a salon. I would just submit a question to Karin explaining your situation and she will be able to help you making suggestions using their products. I have used their products and they are great. I hope this helps you.
Rachel
Julie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Julie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2002 at 1:21pm
This has happened to me before. Just ask your stylist to low-light your hair instead. Instead of using a blonde color she`d use a brown, so it would look more natural.
threejobs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote threejobs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2002 at 1:04pm
I just had this done to my hair and the salon made it look fabulous. In fact I wanted a Mahogany kind of color and they made it look great. I started from where you are now. It was not simple actually they had to blend 3 different sets of color for the root, the highlights and the non highligted parts. I would not risk this at home unless you did a semi-permanent like Casting just to try it out.

Good luck
threejobs!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic