Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

shampoo ingredients

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Brandi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: shampoo ingredients
    Posted: September 06 2002 at 4:41am

Can everyone tell me all the shampoo ingredients that you MUST stay away from? Especially if you hair is long.

thanks.......
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2002 at 7:28pm
If your hair is dry, chemically processed or frizzy, stay away from sodium lauryl sulfate, sTEA-lauryl/laureth sulfate, sulfur and mica (if your hair is dyed), ammonium lauryl/laureth sulfate and ammonium xylosulfonate. I have a list in my research which is at my office (I`m at home) which includes several more potentially drying shampoo detergents, but these are the most commonly used ingredients. Sodium laureth sulfate is one of the gentlest cleansing agents found in shampoos from Loreal Vive to Redken, so I recommend looking for that and avoiding the others if you are prone to dry hair. Hope this helps! :-)
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
SnowWhite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnowWhite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2002 at 9:42pm
If you have a place where you can get natural foods, soaps, etc. they might have some shampoos with natural ingredients. These would be the best on your hair. Check out this site sometime too...It`s for people with long hair and those that are growing it long. http://www.angelfire.com/empire/long_hair_community/home.html
?/35.5/ tailbone
curly hair
<><
sweetpea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetpea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2002 at 6:56pm
Hi,

I recently visited a web site called Mastey.com and they had a list of ingredients you should avoid in hair care and skincare products. This website also sells a line of shampoos, conditioners, and styling products that supposedly does not contain any of these ingredients. I was thinking about trying some products from this line myself. The ingredients that you should avoid are

1. Harsh Cleansers like: Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate
DEA (DEA Lauryl Sulfate)
Sodium Laureth Sulfate
Ammonium Laureth Sulfate
Alpha Olefin Sulfonate

2. Oils
Stop switching shampoos
3. Dyes
4. Propylene Glycol
5. Glycerin and glycerin type derivatives
6. Human Hair Keratin Protein (HHKP)
7. Animal Protein, Collagen Protein, Animal by- Products

Later
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2002 at 7:10pm
Hi Sweetpea. I know you`re trying to help, but something you should know about the list you got. When I first started my research a year ago I ran across that same site. Unfortunately, there are some definite errors on Mastey`s part, and the reason is clear: Mastey makes products without these ingredients. So obviously they would want the "chemical sounding" additives to sound harsh and dangerous so people will buy their products. When a biased source gives out scientific-appearing information, the result is many mislead consumers. Interestingly enough, Mastey.com does not list any of the ingredients in their products. So how on earth is a consumer to know their products are genuinely better? If you know how to read ingredient lists, that`s the first thing to look for when determining effectiveness--yet there are none to be found.

I highly suggest the book Don`t Go Shopping for Haircare Products Without Me, which is an eye-opening resource with the straight, research-proven facts on hair care. There you will find that sodium lauryl sulfate is indeed harsh, but sodium laureth sulfate is not. Collagen, various proteins from any sournce, glycerin and propylene glycol are also very good conditioning agents--contrary to what Mastey says. The truth is, although natural sounds better, that doesn`t necessarily mean non-synthetic ingredients are better for your hair. Aloe has no effect on hair, yet cyclomethicone will make it shiny and soft. Vitamins do nothing for dead hair cells (which is all hair is) yet the chemical sounding quaternium-18 will smooth the hair strands and make it easier to comb. People confuse "non-natural" with dangerous. And the truth is, some of the most "natural" things in this world can really hurt you. There are poisonous mushrooms, dangerous herbal supplements such as kava kava and naturally occuring gases that would kill you with one breath. Just because something is synthetic doesn`t make it worse than natural ingredients. Think about all the "unnatural" things from which we`ve benefitted: sunscreen, flame-resistant clothing, fortified foods, etc.

So my advice: always remember to consider the source. Hope this helps! :-)
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
Brandi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2002 at 8:33am
Hi,
I have a shampoo that`s supposed to stop hair loss. There are some strange ingredients I never heard of before. Have you heard of any of these?

1. cocamidopropyl betain
2. cocamide dea
3.sodium chloride
4.propylene glycol
5.triticum
6.vulgare
7.glycol distearate
8. polyquaterium 80
9. methyldibromo
10.glutaronitrile
11.phenoxyethanol

thank,, you,, :):):)
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2002 at 9:24am
Hi Brandi! Some answers:

1. Cocamidopropyl betaine is a very mild cleanser used in shampoos for its conditioning properties. It is taken from coconut fatty acids, as it most things starting with "coca." This cleanser is typically used in conjunction with a somewhat stronger one such as sodium laureth sulfate because it is so gentle.

2. Cocamide DEA builds lather and thickens shampoo, also from coconut. What many people don`t realize is that the amount of lather a shampoo produces is totally unrelated to its cleaning abilities. This agent builds lather simply because consumers want foam to make it feel like they`re getting their hair clean, but in reality it is the cleansers listed in #1 that will clean your hair, not the lather-builder.

3. Sodium chloride is table salt. It thickens products.

4. Propylene glycol is, believe it or not, anti-freeze. However, research has shown it to be safe and an effective hair conditioner. It is a slip agent, meaning it makes hair easy to detangle and comb.

5. Triticum Vulgare is wheat derivative designed to moisturize hair.

7. Glycol distearate makes shampoo perlescent.

8. Polyquaternium-80 is a conditioning agent that smoothes the hair cuticle.

9. Methyldibromo glutaronitrile sometimes causes allergic reactions, though not in everyone. It is an antimicrobial agent.

10. phenoxyethanol is an anti-fungicidal ingredient.

Hope that helps!

sweetpea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetpea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2002 at 10:27am
Well Lyrus,

Just to let you know I am allergic to quite a few of the ingredients that I listed from the Mastey.com website so that is how I know that they may be harsh to certain individuals. Have a nice day.

Sweetpea
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2002 at 11:17am
I`m sorry to hear that. People have reactions to all sorts of things, both natural and non-chemical, and that doesn`t automatically make something dangerous or harmful to most. Lemongrass is a commonly used "natural" ingredient and it can give people fits. Sorry to hear some of the standard stuff didn`t work for you. Just trying to share what I know so please don`t take offense :-)

btw it`s Lyris. Thanks!
Sheryl View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheryl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2002 at 3:27pm
The author of `Don`t go shopping for haircare products without me` also has her own line of haircare products she`s hawking. She also offers contradictory statements in regards to products. The best way to shop for products is trial and error. What might be too harsh for one person is the miracle product for another. I love Aubrey Organic conditioners but find their shampoo`s too harsh for my hair, even though they don`t contain any chemicals.
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2002 at 6:53pm
Hi Sheryl! I agree that some of Ms. Begoun`s product reviews are inconsistent, for sure. The truly valuable part of the book is where she talks about hair science and the way chemicals/ingredients work upon it. Her research is thoroughly consistent with the other works I have read (FDA reports, Ruther Winter`s Consumer`s Dictionary to Cosmetic Ingredients, etc.) So if you really want to learn about haircare in general, the first few chapters in Ms. Begoun`s book are right on the money. The rest is somewhat contradictory.
greta View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2002 at 7:02pm
So you mention ingredients in shampoos to stay away from, can you list any important ingredients to stay away from in conditioners? Also, I read on here that silicones and anything ending in "cone" is not good. Does that mean all those clear hair shiners are bad? I have one that really seems to help and I am surprised to hear (I think) not to use it.
Thanks for your help!
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2002 at 8:09pm
Hello Greta,

Silicone derivatives will absolutely NOT harm your hair. This myth is as false as the one about conditioner that can "repair" your hair (impossible; hair is dead as a doornail and without cellular regeneration it can`t become "healthy" again.) The reason some people shun silicones is because they can build up on hair over time, possibly weighing fine hair down. However, it is a simple matter to deep cleanse and there is no long term harm. (I take this information from A Consumer`s Guide to Cosmetic Ingredients, Ruth Winter, 1994.

Silicones work by coating the hair shaft, thus imparting a smooth, shiny appearance. These ingredients ending in "cone" are prevalent in shampoos and conditioners from Salon Selections to Redken and Biolage. Dimethicone is an especially good conditioner as it resists water pressure when you rinse, clinging to the hair shaft. If all conditioning agents simply washed away in the shower, there would be NO benefit whatsoever for dry hair, since they must stick to the cuticles in order to improve hair`s appearance.

So, although silicones will certainly not harm your hair, some people don`t like the builup they can cause. It really is a matter of personal choice and you can find conditioners both with and without silicones in the salon and grocery store. If you do like them, silicones can make dry hair silky and shiny. It sounds like you`ve been having luck with your glossers, so by all means keep using them if they work for you! Hope this helps.

God Bless America.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic