Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Straps

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prettyeyz9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prettyeyz9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Straps
    Posted: April 07 2008 at 9:07pm
Hi Ladies,

Well, it seems from the awful rash on my neck after wearing my new LF for only two days that I'm allergic to the tape. Cry  I guess the high pony is out for me.   I purchased from an AV before I got "educated," so this was no small investment.  I need to be able to wear this hair!    Thanks to so many of you I was looking kind of cute...for two days at least.  LOL  Can anyone tell me where I can find some straps to sew into my LF? 

Curlygirl11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curlygirl11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2008 at 9:36pm
Girl don't give up THAT easy Stern%20Smile  A lot of us, myself included, have had allergic reactions to certain tapes or adhesives in the nape area because it tends to be more sensitive than other areas. I hope you have taken the unit off and cleaned your skin though. Use some hydrocortizone or A&D Zinc ointment (diaper rash cream) on the skin overnight and it should be fine by morning.

I had an allergic reaction to ST once and I was pissed cuz that's my favorite tape for the nape area. What I discovered when I removed the unit was that I had applied it a little bit below where my skin protector was and that's why it got so badly irritated with raised, itchy red bumps that dang near drove me crazy. Since I now know how sensitive my nape can be I'm careful to put 2 layers of skin protector back there and a layer or 2 of Vapon No Tape or Davlyn on top of that. By doing so the Super Tape that I had the allergic reaction to back there only touches the lace of my unit and not my skin. It hasn't been a problem since then. Or you can just try a different tape than the one that irritated your nape but no matter what, always put a layer or 2 of skin protector between your skin and whatever tape or adhesive you're using.
griff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote griff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2008 at 5:40am
Prettyeyz,

I agree with CG!  Don't give up! I have such sensitive skin that I have a permanent black box around my belly button from the adhesive on the bandaid after having my tubes tyed.  Trust me, I know about tape allergies!  I use a skin shield and blue liner tape.  I cut it in half vertically and then each half piece I cut into three horizontal pieces.   For liquid adhesives, I use mastix p spirit gum and/or invisibond.  These do not irritate my skin.  Also, be careful about removers. Anything with citrus causes a bad allergic reaction for me, so I stick with PURE or 91% alcohol.  Good luck!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prettyeyz9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2008 at 10:39am
Thanks ladies.   I used scalp prep and blue liner and removed it with C-22.  Griff, maybe it was the C-22 that irritated me, too.  I'm almost afraid to try it again, it's so bad.  My neck looks and feels awful. I took the unit off and that's when the irritation started in full force.  A&D did nothing for me.   Curly, those bumps were driving me insane. I tried Caladryl too - nothing.   I'm doped up on Benadryl right now, both the pill and the topical, so I feel better, but I'm not too sure I want to pay this high a price to be cute(r).Smile  I might try another tape and just alcohol to remove the unit when this becomes a distant memory.
intl_babygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote intl_babygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2008 at 12:33pm
do a patch test with different tapes ... i find that supertape is the devil but proflex long blue stuff with the holes ... works just fine ... also you might need a thicker skin protector like cavilon

use wig clips ... much more comfortable than straps ... Smile

Edited by intl_babygirl - April 08 2008 at 12:42pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prettyeyz9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2008 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by intl_babygirl intl_babygirl wrote:

do a patch test with different tapes ... i find that supertape is the devil but proflex long blue stuff with the holes ... works just fine ... also you might need a thicker skin protector like cavilon

use wig clips ... much more comfortable than straps ... Smile

Thanks babygirl.  I'll try the clips.  I think I can find those.  I used proflex on the front and didn't have any problems, so I'll try those on the nape when I work up the nerve and my skin clears up again.
missmodesty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missmodesty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2008 at 10:10am
i agree
use the diaper rash cream
it works wonder
i had the rash too and it went away overnight
dont give up
the lf game is all about ups and downs lol

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic