Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The great Ion debate

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The great Ion debate
    Posted: December 10 2002 at 2:01pm
I searched the boards for previous posts about ion dryers, which are supposed to infuse your hair with negatively charged ions that keep hair from getting as frizzy. Some posters saw a difference from using these appliances, others didn`t. Now honestly I can`t say I believe in all that ion stuff but my old Conair dryer is about ready to drop dead from exhaustion so I`ll be buying a new tool soon. I would certainly consider an ion dryer just for the thrill of it. Specifically, I`m looking at the Ion Ultra Tech 1875 Watt Turbo Dryer at Sally Beauty or the Conair Ion Shine.

My question: Who has these or another "ion" dryer and has an opinion about their effectiveness? I want to know!
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
turquoise_girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turquoise_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2002 at 8:25pm
you have probably seen my opinion in those last posts you reviewed about the ion dryers. i bought the conair ion shine dryer. i used it a couple of times but my hair didn`t look all that great. but please take into consideration that i NEVER would blow dry my hair before that so maybe it was just me not knowing how to do it right. needless to say- the blowdryer is stashed away in a drawer. i have heard others speak very well of the ion dryers though.
rrobey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrobey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2002 at 7:30am
I`ve tried different ION dryers and the cheaper ones (i.e. Igia and such) didn`t show much difference in my hair. A couple of years ago I bought an ION dryer from CreateION. I got it from the store that`s on Rodeo Dr. in CA. I LOVE IT!! When I first got it I was a little concerned about the heat it produces, so I sent an email imposing the question of whether it would cause damage (my hair damages easily to heat). I got a phone call from a man (can`t remember who he was, but I think a top guy), anyway he promised me that there was no way the dryer could damage my hair. I wasn`t totally sure, but I figured I`d try it anyway. It`s been 2 years that I`ve had this dryer and it still works good. I can definately tell my hair is softer with it rather than a regular dryer. The BIG downfall to this dryer is that it`s $70! I had considered in the past purchasing an ION flat iron from them too, but when I called it`s around $300. :( way too much for me.
Anyway, I hope I helped Lyris. Good Luck!! :)
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2002 at 10:35am
Thanks for the tip! Rodeo Drive....whew, I can`t imagine being able to buy anything on that stretch (last time I was there I remembered to dress up so the Versace guy wouldn`t pass dirty looks looks when Tourist Me came in to ogle $1,500 white tank tops.) :-) But if it works and lasts then it`s certainly worth the money. I think I may be getting an ion dryer from Sally....but I hope for more input as well from others! Thanks rrobey and turquoise girl!
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
rrobey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrobey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2002 at 12:46pm
Here`s a web site for the dryer I have. I just wanted to post it in case you wanted to get more info.

http://www.bioionic.com/home.html

Becky
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2002 at 12:01pm
Well I did it....went out and spent $24 on an Ion dryer from Sally (good thing I have the pro card...otherwise it would`ve really hit the wallet hard.) I`m going to try it tomorrow when I wash/dry my hair and I`ll post my opinion about this new age ion stuff then :-)
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2002 at 7:26am
....and that was a waste of money! This morning I tried out this lovely new thing and...well, what a disappointment. First off, the Ion brand ion dryer I bought is extremely heavy. My wrist and lower arm was hurting badly after five minutes. Worse still, the dryer takes forEVER to dry my hair. I almost always use the low-speed warm setting on dryers for my somewhat thick, naturally wavy hair when drying it straight, and this dryer`s setting took an eternity. Plus, it made no difference whatsoever to my hair: no reduction of frizzies, no additional shine, etc. I finally unplugged this machine and switched back to my old Conair. Otherwise I would`ve been late for work!

Needless to say, I will be returning my ion dryer. Of course it might just be my hair (or my too-high expectations) but either way it`s not worth keeping.
Clarissa View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2002 at 5:08pm
I got a conair ion shire hair dryer for christmas and it works fantastic!!!! It didn`t dry out my hair at all and it looks so shiny. With normal blow dryer`s my hair feels fried....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic