Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Afro Blues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nanie2five View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nanie2five Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Afro Blues
    Posted: December 30 2009 at 8:29pm

Hi Everyone,

I am a newbie and very happy I found this site.  I can't see to find a resolution to my problem.  I have worn my hair in an afro for a year now (coming out of a relaxed style).  While it's easy and healthy for my hair, my problem is that I can't get a decent cut.

I simply CANNOT find a single hair stylist that is able to cut my hair in a "style".  Years ago, (I know I'm dating myself hereLOL), you could walk into a barbershop or hairdresser and they actually had posters with maybe 30 or so actual afro "styles".  But not anymore.Confused  I'm speaking of a real clipper cut that keeps it's shape even when you wake up in the morning.  My hair type is soft but with a very tight curl pattern.  I keep it short, maybe 2 to 3 inches long. 

Whenever I find a barber that is willing to cut my hair, I have to go through a whole "thing" about the fact that I don't want my hair faded, I don't want a masculine cut, I just want my hair shaped nicely with the outline edges trimed but a softer "natural" look.  I can't begin to tell you my tight-lipped horror at some of the results. Wink

It hasn't been ALL bad, I did luck up on one young man that cut my hair perfect!  The only problem seems to be they (most barbers) are not consistent.  After 4 or 5 regular trims, I always end up getting out of the chair with a "guy" cut.  I then go home, wait for my hair to grow out and try seeking someone else.  The really sad part is that I can't even find a hair magazine that showcases real afro cuts.  You know, not "curls", but real "nappy" afros (the ones we used to wear with "dashikis",lol)

I live on the east coast, but have not found a hairdresser that uses clippers.  I really would like the salon treatment of having my hair cut, shampooed and conditioned.  But, alas, that seems to be a thing of the past.Cry

Anyone have any suggestions?

True kindness is being considerate to someone who is not.
Unregistered Guest View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unregistered Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2009 at 12:55am
Get to more about beautiful afrro-american hairstyle at http://www.easy-hairstyles.com/16/african-american-hairstyles.
Nanie2five View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nanie2five Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2009 at 4:59am
Thanks for the URL, Alexdo,  I did not see even one afro style, but I did find out that there are others with this same issue, though.LOL

At least I have company, lol.
True kindness is being considerate to someone who is not.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic