Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

question for the very long-haired ladies

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
carmen View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carmen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: question for the very long-haired ladies
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:07pm
I'm just curious... what type of jobs or careers do you have? I'm a law student, and I know that very long hair is generally considered "too sexy" for a courtroom. (Especially if you have a very feminine-sounding name to go with it!) I was just wondering whether you have jobs that are more receptive to long hair, or if you put it up every day at work.I have a chin-length bob right now and I've thought about growing it longer, but I just don't know if I want to have to put it up every day. (I don't think I look that great with my hair up.)
Carol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:07pm
I am in the Information Technology field, and I have long hair that is extremely curly. (It is very similar to Judge Whipper on Ally McBeal, but it is brown and not quite as big.) I can empathize with your desire to have longer hair. I fought with my curls for years: cutting them off, perming, straightening, you name it, till I grew tired of it and just let them grow.My hair doesn't look that great "up" either, but I have come to enjoy wearing other accessories like headbands, ponytails, and barrettes to keep my hair in check for work. If I don't have anything important on my schedule (like a meeting or a client briefing) I just wear it down.
Noreen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:07pm
Hi Carmen,My hair is knee length. I am the supervisor of a customer service department for a large computer company. Most often I either wear my hair down, or in a braid. However, when we have customer's coming into the office I will simply pull my hair back from my face and put it into a barrette or make a bun out of the top half of my hair and use hair sticks to hold it. It hasn't seemed to hinder me in my career at all and when I was offered this position, I was told what made me stand out from the other candidates was my beautiful hair and the fact that I took the time to hand write thank you notes after my first interview. Oh, and this wasn't a man who told me this, but the woman who interviewed me.Take care,Noreen> I'm just curious... what type of jobs or careers do> you have? I'm a law student, and I know that very long> hair is generally considered "too sexy" for> a courtroom. (Especially if you have a very> feminine-sounding name to go with it!) I was just> wondering whether you have jobs that are more> receptive to long hair, or if you put it up every day> at work.> I have a chin-length bob right now and I've thought> about growing it longer, but I just don't know if I> want to have to put it up every day. (I don't think I> look that great with my hair up.)
C.C. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C.C. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:07pm
I am a high-tech executive with long hair that I wear tied up almost every day. I, too, have concerns about professionalism. Long hair on either men or women doesn't seem to be an widely acceptable corporate look. My office building has a gym, and in the locker room I see other women with *gorgeous* long hair that hide it in some sort of updo. I am guessing the same standards may apply in a courtroom.When I was younger, and more immature, I drew complaints from my boss stating that I wasn't "polished" enough for my job. Granted, my behaviour had a bit to do with it, but I am also afraid that having long hair didn't help matters any. That was tough to overcome.On the positive side, I always thought my hair didn't look good up untill my hair grew long enough to make a decent bun or french twist. Once it was, I was surprised at the way it made my imperfect face look! It looked far better on me than short hair did. I have also grown used to having a tougher "exterior". Not to many of my co-workers have seen me with my hair down, so its like my long hair is part of my "private self", the self that likes to wear jeans and sneakers instead of dresses and heels, the self that is the real me, the self that I don't want to expose to just anyone. My husband also likes to watch my hair cascade down when I undo it in the evening, he thinks it is as personal and intimate as me taking off my clothes.
H. Taylor View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H. Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:07pm
Carmen, I'm a law student, as well, and have seen a number of extremely long-haired female lawyers (although I haven't seen any long-haired male lawyers). One of the top in our state has hair well past her waist. . .and it certainly hasn't seemed to have heeded her career progress! :) She doesn't wear it up, either. If you're worried about any ramifications, you could grow your hair out and wear it in a French twist or a bun, which I see often.Good luck with your education!I'm just curious... what type of jobs or careers do> you have? I'm a law student, and I know that very long> hair is generally considered "too sexy" for> a courtroom. (Especially if you have a very> feminine-sounding name to go with it!) I was just> wondering whether you have jobs that are more> receptive to long hair, or if you put it up every day> at work.> I have a chin-length bob right now and I've thought> about growing it longer, but I just don't know if I> want to have to put it up every day. (I don't think I> look that great with my hair up.)
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:07pm
Hi, Carmen!I am a legislative consultant, self-employed, and my hair is derriere-length. I would say that I wear my hair down most of the time, except in the summer months. At that time, it's mostly a chignon or a single braid. My hair has grown a lot over the past few years and I don't detect any detriment to my career. Most comments which I have encountered in business have either been complimentary or curious in nature.As a legislative consultant, I have and do come in contact with many lawyers. I live right outside of Washington, DC, and even female attorneys at larger law firms are wearing their hair longer, mostly shoulder-length or just a tad longer. That's a major accomplishment!:) I know what a conservative profession law tends to be overall.It's interesting about your comment re long hair being considered too sexy for a courtroom, especially if you have a feminine sounding name. I give much love to the true trial lawyers in America and elsewhere. My grandfather was a prosecutor and defense attorney for more years than you can imagine and one of Harvard's best. Criminal trial lawyers are a breed of their own. There's one thing that I can tell you, depending on the type of litigation which you are pursuing, the rule of thumb is use whatever you've got. For certain types of cases, a woman who has a softer appearance, as perceived by say a jury, can be a major asset. Imagine a wrongful death case and the female defense attorney has this long hair as you imagine and is extremely feminine, name to boot, and she's up against say some corporation which is alleged to have manufactured poor brakes which killed a child. Imagine further this lady has a superior brain. She might just have a major edge:) For most trial lawyers, image is everything:)Take care and great success....Bye for now,Jade21P.S. Hope that you will continue to post!I'm just curious... what type of jobs or careers do> you have? I'm a law student, and I know that very long> hair is generally considered "too sexy" for> a courtroom. (Especially if you have a very> feminine-sounding name to go with it!) I was just> wondering whether you have jobs that are more> receptive to long hair, or if you put it up every day> at work.> I have a chin-length bob right now and I've thought> about growing it longer, but I just don't know if I> want to have to put it up every day. (I don't think I> look that great with my hair up.)
carmen View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carmen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:07pm
My school runs several pro-bono clinics that give students an opportunity to represent juveniles and low-income clients in court. That's something I plan to get involved with next year, and of course as a student I want to be extra-careful not to look unprofessional. I had longer hair a few years ago (down to my bra strap) but at the time I always thought it looked messy. I had bangs and longer layers in front and it was just about impossible for me to wear it up or back without having hair in my face. Plus, I'm afraid I don't have smooth, straight, shiny hair... my hair is somewhere between wavy and curly -- "naturally frizzy," as I call it. (grin) I can brush it all out and about a half hour later it looks like I just rolled out of bed. Anyway, I've grown out the layers and bangs and it's tempting to go a little longer.I completely agree with your "image is everything" assessment of litigation. :) What I'm wondering is whether a "softer" image could also backfire... you know what I mean? The stereotype seems to be that shorter-haired women are more intelligent and more savvy. You'd hate to have a jury take one look and think, "oh, she doesn't know what she's talking about" and second-guess everything you say. Plus, I wonder how female jurors would react, especially if the attorney is very attractive. (I'm the girl-next-door type, so that's not really an issue for me!) I think the attractive + long hair combination is threatening or intimidating for some women. Hey, I'll admit to it... my boyfriend and I can watch a Meg Ryan movie together and that's no problem, but I'm not about to take him to see Gwyneth Paltrow or Nicole Kidman's latest. :) I'm not saying this to start another long vs. short hair debate. It's just something I've noticed, and since this is a hair politics board I thought I'd throw it out for discussion.
Erica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:08pm
My hair is waist-length, so I don't know if I qualify as "very long-haired!" But, I'll give my two cents! :)Anyhow I am a staff member for my state legislature, and I have never even second-guessed my decision to have long hair. I even want to grow it just a little longer.Honestly, how I wear my hair depends on what I am wearing & my mood that day. If I know I'll be attending an important committee meeting or a House/Senate session, I'll wear a suit with my hair pulled back in a bun, braid or a twist. Often I use hairsticks to hold it in place. But if I know I'll be at the office all day, I'll wear dresses and match my hairstyle to the formality of my dress. I hope that makes sense. Generally the more formal my dress, the more of my hair is pulled up.Oh, and it also depends on what hair barrettes I have to match my clothes. It sounds silly but I like to coordinate my entire outfit, including hair accesssories. So if I have a large clip that matches a dress, I'll wear the back down and clip the front of my hair up. Or if I have a scrunchie that matches, I'll wear my hair in a low ponytail. If I don't have any matching barrettes or scrunchies, I'll use hairsticks.I very seldom wear my hair down--not because I think it is inappropriate, but because generally I think my hair looks better on me when it's pulled up--or at least off my face. Plus my hair sometimes gets in my way at work and it is easier to deal with when it is up. And I am extremely anal about perfection--so it is easier for me to get my hair to look how I want when I fix it up (hairspray does wonders!) than it is to wear it down--it takes too long for me to curl & fuss with to make it look right!PS--I have voiced this opinion before: with your law background, maybe you can respond to this. I think it is sexual discrimination to be considered "unprofessional" for having long hair because that is saying that your feminity (hence being a woman) is unprofessional. I think it is a crock of baloney!> I'm just curious... what type of jobs or careers do> you have? I'm a law student, and I know that very long> hair is generally considered "too sexy" for> a courtroom. (Especially if you have a very> feminine-sounding name to go with it!) I was just> wondering whether you have jobs that are more> receptive to long hair, or if you put it up every day> at work.> I have a chin-length bob right now and I've thought> about growing it longer, but I just don't know if I> want to have to put it up every day. (I don't think I> look that great with my hair up.)
Dawn from RareGems View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawn from RareGems Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:08pm
Well, as just a quick answer to the original question, as a self employed person, author, home schooler, and director of the RareGems co-op, my hair isn't much of an issue since people sort of expect me to be a bit unconventional and as Noreen mentioned, a bonus is with hair of such length, you are rarely forgotten or confused with someone else. But it appears my situation is not the norm and gals with extremely long hair can be found in most mainstream walks of life, tucking their private selves up into buns and braids whenever they venture out into the world. I love CC's response about her hair being a special thing shared only with ones intimates. I don't often wear my hair down out in public either, its always restrained somehow, if only for logistical purposes and to protect it.Anyway, it was the second part of your post that I found most intriguing, that being the issue of "sexiness" and not being taken seriously along with the issue of alienating female jurors with a flashy or intimidating persona. I would offer that its all in the way that you handle yourself and how you treat others. If you project the feeling that you know you're beautiful men may eat it up but other women will respond negatively. Even if a person is strikingly attractive, if they are kind and humble about their God given gift, no one will be alienated by them. Walk that fine line between self confidence and arrogance with dignity and grace and people will respond to that, no matter what kind of hair you have, don't you think? Its all a matter of reaching out to people, not only not acting like you think they're aesthetically challenged but having the kind of heart that doesn't even make those judgements to begin with. Sincerity and genuine humility can be very endearing, particularly in someone with every right to feel beautiful and superior. When they don't shove that at you, its makes you want to like them for their graciousness. Such a person could have their way with any jury I would think.> My school runs several pro-bono clinics that give> students an opportunity to represent juveniles and> low-income clients in court. That's something I plan> to get involved with next year, and of course as a> student I want to be extra-careful not to look> unprofessional. I had longer hair a few years ago> (down to my bra strap) but at the time I always> thought it looked messy. I had bangs and longer layers> in front and it was just about impossible for me to> wear it up or back without having hair in my face.> Plus, I'm afraid I don't have smooth, straight, shiny> hair... my hair is somewhere between wavy and curly --> "naturally frizzy," as I call it. (grin) I> can brush it all out and about a half hour later it> looks like I just rolled out of bed. Anyway, I've> grown out the layers and bangs and it's tempting to go> a little longer.> I completely agree with your "image is> everything" assessment of litigation. :) What I'm> wondering is whether a "softer" image could> also backfire... you know what I mean? The stereotype> seems to be that shorter-haired women are more> intelligent and more savvy. You'd hate to have a jury> take one look and think, "oh, she doesn't know> what she's talking about" and second-guess> everything you say. Plus, I wonder how female jurors> would react, especially if the attorney is very> attractive. (I'm the girl-next-door type, so that's> not really an issue for me!) I think the attractive +> long hair combination is threatening or intimidating> for some women. Hey, I'll admit to it... my boyfriend> and I can watch a Meg Ryan movie together and that's> no problem, but I'm not about to take him to see> Gwyneth Paltrow or Nicole Kidman's latest. :) I'm not> saying this to start another long vs. short hair> debate. It's just something I've noticed, and since> this is a hair politics board I thought I'd throw it> out for discussion.
C.C. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C.C. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:08pm
Hi Erica,I'd love to here Carmen's take on this coming from a legal side, but I hope you don't mind if I put my 2 cents in.Many corporate environments (especially "brand name" corporations like the one I work for) are staunchly traditional, old-boys-club environments that women could hardly play in at all, untill the 1980's. The women that were successful breaking in were the ones that followed all of the unspoken rules.With that history in mind, I see long hair up vs. long hair down being very similar to whether a woman wears a dress or a suit to work. At many places, a dress is just fine. At other places, or certain situations, only a suit will do. The women that tried to break the glass ceiling in the '80s or before generally had very short hair. Now, even though the environment has softened, I still believe that tradition is being held on to.I am probably going to sound like a real corporate stiff, but it doesn't quite smell like sexual harrassment/descrimination to me. It is a business deciding what is its best corporate image, and holding those that represent the company (especially to customers) responsible for that image.I don't mean to imply that this is the way it ought to be, its just the way it is, and I had to make the go-along-to-get-along choice. Now, after being steeped in it for awhile, I'm just used to it.That being said, let me also say that I don't mind taking heat for being a starched shirt. I have loved reading everybody's opinion and would welcome any comments whether they agree with me or not.Thanks,C.C.
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:08pm
Hi, C.C.!I think the better argument is really via the First Amendment's Free Exercise Clause. Erica's argument about femininity just doesn't seem to wash because what about men? We have some long-haired gentlemen in our forum:)I can remember a case here involving a woman with the Marriott Corporation, a most conservative group. Anyway, this woman was black and wore her hair very long in braids which were not extensions, but her natural hair. As I remember, she was a hotel sales associate and came into contact with executives and the general public quite a bit. Her performance was superior and she was well-liked. Marriot instituted a policy which prohibited generally longer hair and braids and the like in particular. Not only did she have a First Amendment claim, but several under local and federal civil rights laws for discrimination. De facto racial discrimination via the anti-braids policy by Marriott. The lady ended up retaining her position and Marriott's policy had to be dropped. I think they ended up rewriting it because actually it may have been deemed overly broad, in addition to everything else.> I'd love to here Carmen's take on this coming from a> legal side, but I hope you don't mind if I put my 2> cents in.> Many corporate environments (especially "brand> name" corporations like the one I work for) are> staunchly traditional, old-boys-club environments that> women could hardly play in at all, untill the 1980's.> The women that were successful breaking in were the> ones that followed all of the unspoken rules.> With that history in mind, I see long hair up vs. long> hair down being very similar to whether a woman wears> a dress or a suit to work. At many places, a dress is> just fine. At other places, or certain situations,> only a suit will do. The women that tried to break the> glass ceiling in the '80s or before generally had very> short hair. Now, even though the environment has> softened, I still believe that tradition is being held> on to.> I am probably going to sound like a real corporate> stiff, but it doesn't quite smell like sexual> harrassment/descrimination to me. It is a business> deciding what is its best corporate image, and holding> those that represent the company (especially to> customers) responsible for that image.The corporate image and protective veil only go so far. It's always important to remember that a democracy is best defined as majority rule with the preservation of minority interests. Minority interests include certain personal choices like a parent's decision whether a child is educated in a public or private school or at home, how a person chooses to wear his/her hair when a company's policy has no rational relationship to job performance, whether a woman chooses to have 10 or no children.> I don't mean to imply that this is the way it ought to> be, its just the way it is, and I had to make the> go-along-to-get-along choice. Now, after being steeped> in it for awhile, I'm just used to it.The world has been transformed because somebody decided that "what is", "ought not" to be. That was an individual's choice. We all make choices in our lives:) Everyone has his/her own tolerance level, regardless of the arena.> That being said, let me also say that I don't mind> taking heat for being a starched shirt. I have loved> reading everybody's opinion and would welcome any> comments whether they agree with me or not.Your no starched shirt in my book.Take care and please continue to post...Bye for now,Jade21
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:08pm
> Anyway, it was the second part of your post that I> found most intriguing, that being the issue of> "sexiness" and not being taken seriously> along with the issue of alienating female jurors with> a flashy or intimidating persona. I would offer that> its all in the way that you handle yourself and how> you treat others.Very generally that's true. But what if a lawyer wore a string bikini displaying deep cleavage with perk little nipples outlining the fabric and a piece of floss masquerading as the bottom half? {grin} Or bright red lipstick and a super-teased beehive? No matter how "professional" the woman acted, her appearance suggests otherwise.What if a super fat woman wore a neon pink dress? No matter how hard one tried, it would be hard to ignore her.Perhaps, just perhaps, it's the oddity of ultra long hair that is distracting.
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:08pm
Hi, Carmen!I just wanted to say that I think you are on your way to becoming quite a lawyer already. It is so key to me that you have really been thinking about all of this. I give you many applause:)I've got two stories for you. As lawyers would say, "war stories." The first is via my grandfather and is in line with your overall thinking process re court appearances and the image you project. The second is a story about a female attorney who I have seen in action and sort leaves everybody "breathless." It sort of goes along with your comment about long hair + beauty (which is defintely in the eye of the beholder:)).Story one. My grandfather was truly green, fresh out of law school, smart as a whip and got a civil rights case which he and everybody else thought was a definite loser. Anyway, he did the research, planned his strategy and then, the decision....WHAT DO I WEAR TO COURT? Meanwhile, his client is in jail...sittting...sitting...sitting. So, my grandfather has decided it's blue pinstripes and a visit to the jail before the trial. He meets with his client and says, "Sir, don't worry, I have my arguments and I assure you that I will give you the best justice." His client looks at him and says,"Man, I don't care about justice. I just want you to get me out this jail." MMM....my grandfather's been thinking about strategy, arguments, and yes, the clothes. His client wants his freedom. Lesson 1 of the story....the thought process and yes even thinking about the clothes helped to get the client out of jail. Lesson 2 of the story...don't every lose track of your ultimate goal:) Carmen, you're way ahead of the game!My school runs several pro-bono clinics that give> students an opportunity to represent juveniles and> low-income clients in court. That's something I plan> to get involved with next year, and of course as a> student I want to be extra-careful not to look> unprofessional. I had longer hair a few years ago> (down to my bra strap) but at the time I always> thought it looked messy. I had bangs and longer layers> in front and it was just about impossible for me to> wear it up or back without having hair in my face.> Plus, I'm afraid I don't have smooth, straight, shiny> hair... my hair is somewhere between wavy and curly --> "naturally frizzy," as I call it. (grin) I> can brush it all out and about a half hour later it> looks like I just rolled out of bed. Anyway, I've> grown out the layers and bangs and it's tempting to go> a little longer.> I completely agree with your "image is> everything" assessment of litigation. :) What I'm> wondering is whether a "softer" image could> also backfire... you know what I mean? The stereotype> seems to be that shorter-haired women are more> intelligent and more savvy. You'd hate to have a jury> take one look and think, "oh, she doesn't know> what she's talking about" and second-guess> everything you say. Plus, I wonder how female jurors> would react, especially if the attorney is very> attractive. (I'm the girl-next-door type, so that's> not really an issue for me!) I think the attractive +> long hair combination is threatening or intimidating> for some women. Hey, I'll admit to it... my boyfriend> and I can watch a Meg Ryan movie together and that's> no problem, but I'm not about to take him to see> Gwyneth Paltrow or Nicole Kidman's latest. :) I'm not> saying this to start another long vs. short hair> debate. It's just something I've noticed, and since> this is a hair politics board I thought I'd throw it> out for discussion.I have to say that from what we've heard here and in Hair Talk about some rather catty women, I understand what you are saying. In theory, I have to say that I agree with Dawn about a beautiful woman with long hair being a lot more than that and her ability to project her true self, despite perceived stereotypes. HOWEVER, in a courtroom, you've got a limited amount of time to project the image that you need to project to a jury for ultimate success. So, I sort of agree with you up to a point, Carmen. That sort of goes into Story Number Two. Here goes.There is a female trial attorney who appears in DC courts regularly and she is just what you are talking about. Her hair is very blonde to the middle of her back, actually a bit curly (no hindrance, girl:)), and she is so tall it's amazing. I would guess around 6'2". She is utterly beautiful. In addition, she's got a brain that's so good, it's hard to imagine. She's been a lawyer for at least 20 years. Her father was a renowned trial lawyer in another state, so she obviously learned from the best. I have seen her in action and she literally brings juries to their knees. It's like they don't know what hit them before anything ever got started. Personally, I'm sure she must have considered her image when she was starting out, but...the lesson of the story...WORK WITH WHAT YOU'VE GOT TO YOUR ADVANTAGE!Carmen, you describe yourself as the girl next door type. The girl next door is the heart and soul of America:) This is just my humble opinion but I really wouldn't worry about your boyfriend and the so-called "beautiful movie stars." They're just fantasyland:) From what you have written and discussed in this forum....you must be quite a beautiful, real person.Later and all the best,Jade21
carmen View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carmen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:08pm
First, the disclaimer: I'm only a student; I'm not admitted to the bar or licensed to practice and I'm not qualified or licensed to pass out legal advice. Also, laws vary from state to state. If you think you might be a victim of discrimination, be sure consult an attorney in your state.* * *Okay, now that that's out of the way :), here's my very unofficial take on things. As far as I know, hairstyles generally fall under the laws governing employee dress code, which is a very fuzzy area of law to begin with. Employers have a lot of leeway in the standards they can set for their employees' personal appearance. For example, it's perfectly legal for a company to prohibit men from wearing beards, moustaches, goatees, or other facial hair. A company can also set different standards for men and women as long as the rules do not deny employment (or give unfair advantage) to a particular gender. For example, say you work at a machine shop in which federal safety codes require slacks and hard-toe boots for most positions. The company cannot require women to wear skirts because that would deny them access to employment opportunities.The laws get particularly fuzzy when religious and racial anti-discrimination laws are entered into the equation. For example, what if a company establishes a no-beard policy and a worker is an Jewish Orthodox man with a full beard? In cases like these, employers are usually required to accommodate the religious belief unless doing so would violate federal health and safety codes. For example, a restaurant worker who refuses to wear a hair net or hat because of a religious belief against head coverings doesn't have much legal recourse. (Best case scenario: The company would transfer that worker to a position that doesn't require a head covering. Worst case scenario: Termination of employment.)In the same way, dress codes that single out a specific racial group are prohibited by anti-discrimination laws. Jade's example is perfect here. A dress code that prohibits long braids is indirectly targeting African-American women, since Caucasian and Asian women are unlikely to wear long braids. Interestingly enough, no-beard laws have been challenged on the grounds that shaving can lead to a skin condition (those razor bumps -- I don't remember what they're called) that's more common among black men than among whites. I don't know the outcome of any of those challenges, but I'd think you could put together a pretty persuasive case. :)
Holly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:08pm
Hi Everyone,Well, I've been visiting the States and also travelling here in France, so I haven't been able to post lately.I just wanted to say how refreshing it was to see an interesting topic like this and how it was discussed, instead of the same old long vs. short argument that seems to get started over topics that don't even start out that way sometimes.I've always been interested in the legal profression and at one time thought of becoming a paralegal (that's another story!). It's not surprising to me that one would have to wonder if she (or he) should keep long hair in this type of career.Jade, I enjoyed reading about your Grandfather. It was a great point to make with that story you recounted, how a lawyer must have EVERYTHING strategically planned. It goes without saying that being a Harvard graduate is very impresive, and you must have been very proud of him.I hope to see (or be able to start) more interesting topics, such as this one.Nice to be back,Holly
David Justin Lynch View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Justin Lynch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:13pm
> First, the disclaimer: I'm only a student; I'm not> admitted to the bar or licensed to practice and I'm> not qualified or licensed to pass out legal advice.> Also, laws vary from state to state. If you think you> might be a victim of discrimination, be sure consult> an attorney in your state.> * * *> Okay, now that that's out of the way :), here's my> very unofficial take on things. As far as I know,> hairstyles generally fall under the laws governing> employee dress code, which is a very fuzzy area of law> to begin with. Employers have a lot of leeway in the> standards they can set for their employees' personal> appearance. For example, it's perfectly legal for a> company to prohibit men from wearing beards,> moustaches, goatees, or other facial hair. A company> can also set different standards for men and women as> long as the rules do not deny employment (or give> unfair advantage) to a particular gender. For example,> say you work at a machine shop in which federal safety> codes require slacks and hard-toe boots for most> positions. The company cannot require women to wear> skirts because that would deny them access to> employment opportunities.> The laws get particularly fuzzy when religious and> racial anti-discrimination laws are entered into the> equation. For example, what if a company establishes a> no-beard policy and a worker is an Jewish Orthodox man> with a full beard? In cases like these, employers are> usually required to accommodate the religious belief> unless doing so would violate federal health and> safety codes. For example, a restaurant worker who> refuses to wear a hair net or hat because of a> religious belief against head coverings doesn't have> much legal recourse. (Best case scenario: The company> would transfer that worker to a position that doesn't> require a head covering. Worst case scenario:> Termination of employment.)> In the same way, dress codes that single out a> specific racial group are prohibited by> anti-discrimination laws. Jade's example is perfect> here. A dress code that prohibits long braids is> indirectly targeting African-American women, since> Caucasian and Asian women are unlikely to wear long> braids. Interestingly enough, no-beard laws have been> challenged on the grounds that shaving can lead to a> skin condition (those razor bumps -- I don't remember> what they're called) that's more common among black> men than among whites. I don't know the outcome of any> of those challenges, but I'd think you could put> together a pretty persuasive case. :)I am a lawyer in California. Your view of the law is for the most part, correct. An employer can have different hari and grooming regulations for men and women. At our law firm, we do not allow women to have short hair. It's got to touch the shoulders, or no job. We prefer at least to the bottom of the shoulder blades.DAVID, Esquire
Violet View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Violet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:13pm
> Long hair can be professional whether up or down. To help make it sleek use Citra Shine laminator. I love it. It gives me a close to Asian hair type which looks much better than my mussy natural look.For two terrific up and down examples, look to none other than Alley McBeal. Take a look at the blonde attorney. Her up dos are to die for. Honestly who looks more professional, Alley or that girl? And how about Ling? Her hair is long and sleek. I've never seen it up and it looks terrific and professional.It is all in how well you care for you hair. Long hair can be anything you want it to be so long as you keep it healthy.
David Justin Lynch View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Justin Lynch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:15pm
A woman with a perfect bun is a delight to the eye. I enjoy intimate encounters with a woman who takes pride in her bun. A great bun makes a positive statement about a woman's feeling for herself and her outlook on the world, and whatever that is, I am attracted to it.DAVID, Esquire> My hair is waist-length, so I don't know if I qualify> as "very long-haired!" But, I'll give my two> cents! :)> Anyhow I am a staff member for my state legislature,> and I have never even second-guessed my decision to> have long hair. I even want to grow it just a little> longer.> Honestly, how I wear my hair depends on what I am> wearing & my mood that day. If I know I'll be> attending an important committee meeting or a> House/Senate session, I'll wear a suit with my hair> pulled back in a bun, braid or a twist. Often I use> hairsticks to hold it in place. But if I know I'll be> at the office all day, I'll wear dresses and match my> hairstyle to the formality of my dress. I hope that> makes sense. Generally the more formal my dress, the> more of my hair is pulled up.> Oh, and it also depends on what hair barrettes I have> to match my clothes. It sounds silly but I like to> coordinate my entire outfit, including hair> accesssories. So if I have a large clip that matches a> dress, I'll wear the back down and clip the front of> my hair up. Or if I have a scrunchie that matches,> I'll wear my hair in a low ponytail. If I don't have> any matching barrettes or scrunchies, I'll use> hairsticks.> I very seldom wear my hair down--not because I think> it is inappropriate, but because generally I think my> hair looks better on me when it's pulled up--or at> least off my face. Plus my hair sometimes gets in my> way at work and it is easier to deal with when it is> up. And I am extremely anal about perfection--so it is> easier for me to get my hair to look how I want when I> fix it up (hairspray does wonders!) than it is to wear> it down--it takes too long for me to curl & fuss> with to make it look right!> PS--I have voiced this opinion before: with your law> background, maybe you can respond to this. I think it> is sexual discrimination to be considered> "unprofessional" for having long hair> because that is saying that your feminity (hence being> a woman) is unprofessional. I think it is a crock of> baloney!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic