Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How stereotypes are born

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JerkyFlea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerkyFlea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How stereotypes are born
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:23pm
At the risk of stirring up a hornet's nest, I wanted to make an observation. In the course of discussions here in the past, the statement has been made that these boards have a slant towards being very pro long hair and anti short hair. The rebuttal has been that people here support freedom of choice and everyone is entitled to wear whatever hairstyle they choose and shouldn't be pressured into doing something they don't want.Currently, on the Personals board, there is a discussion thread (which you can go to by clicking here) that began with a post by Brian on a makeover he did on Genni, a young woman with very long hair. The end result wasn't the most flattering style ever, but it wasn't bad and it appeared that she was happy with the style.Given that, I would fully expect and understand if all of the succeeding posts in the thread took Brian to task for selling a copy of the video he made of the makeover or that he could have chosen a more attractive style (even though it supposedly came from a picture chosen by Genni).That wasn't the case, however.Of the 11 posts (I'm discounting my own and Diane's response to it, Brian's own posts, and Mark/Jack's duplicate and the response it generated), 6 are direct attacks on Brian for cutting Genni's hair at all. If they could get their hands on him, I believe he would have been lynched. None of these posts say that it could have been cut into a better style, but that by simply doing the cut at all Brian is "pathetic", "a butcher", and has committed "horrendous act of personal vandalism" and that "(s)adly, such offenses aren't prosecutable".Again, I don't particularly like the style myself, but if she wanted it cut, he did it, and she liked it, then how is Brian at fault? That's the type of thing that breeds the "pro long hair, anti short hair" stereotype.Just an observation,JerkyFleaP.S. And Diane, I would guess he is selling the tape because there is a market for it. Pretty much that simple.Related Link:JerkyFlea's Celebrity Hair Spray
3 pm is simultaneously too late and too early to start anything.
Diane from Canada View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:23pm
>> P.S. And Diane, I would guess he is selling the tape> because there is a market for it. Pretty much that> simple.Hello JerkyFlea:I started a thread on a list about all this already.What really got me was the fact he is selling videos of her hair being cut. That really bothered me a lot. He is selling them on diffirent sites.I didn't really care if the model cut her hair nor not and I agree with you that a better style would have suit her as I find the style makes the lady look a lot older.I have all kinds of thoughts about that.I would like to know why you care to enter a hornet nest? I have a can of raid in case I need it lol
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:23pm
No kidding!!I love long, *healthy* hair. And it was more than evident than Genni definitely needed a major trim. I personally would have gone mid-back or up to the shoulder, but some of those responses were crazy!>6 are direct> attacks on Brian for cutting Genni's hair at all .Apparently, Brian edited out the part where he kidnapped Genni, put a gun to her head and forced her to get the haircut.....>Brian is> "pathetic", "a butcher", and has> committed "horrendous act of personal> vandalism" and that "(s)adly, such offenses> aren't prosecutable".But I guess growing hair down to your feet, no matter what it looks like is an admirable goal, even if the hair is so split that there are less than 100 hairs reaching the longest length!I really think people need to be a bit more open-minded and think more about the style than the length. People who call the person who performs long-to-short makeovers the "butcher" are just as radical as those who say, "buzz it all off" or "shave it"!!
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:24pm
>What do we expect from this thread? All I see is that we will receive some very negative messages. I rather see peace .>
Lady Godiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Godiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:24pm
To keep the record straight, I did not write that Brian himself was pathetic. I said that his talent was. Even those who support Genni's choice of a hair cut readily concede that the cut itself isn't very flattering and that any number of other lengths and/or styles would have been preferable. This is where his talent lacked, in my opinion.As for Brian himself, I have no question. He is certainly not pathetic, as he knows how to hock hair cutting parephenalia with incentives to buy now. Good for him, I say, IF Genni is aware and amenable to the fact that he is selling her image via the internet. If not, then for shame. But either way, Brian, himself, is not pathetic. Hardly. He's a shrewd businessman.What's more, he brought the issue to a hair care site, not just to hair cutting sites. As Jeff pointed out, Brian most likely was very well aware that his lack of detail in his first posting would elicit an emotional outburst from many readers. Again, hardly pathetic. Daresay I that he is politically savvy?Please watch what is quoted, because my thought was taken out of context.Jennifer Eve
Avatar: Lady Godiva by John Collier, 1898

1a F iii hair type
74" to the floor
Deana View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:24pm
Here's a thought.Brian meets Genni on the internet. They may discuss things important to them, and Genni mentions she has long hair. Maybe, Brian is the type that likes cutting hair, however, I am not sure if any mention is made of his hairstyling experience. Maybe, they decide there is an opertunity to make a quick buck. "Since there seems to be a market for haircut tapes, why not cut Genni's hair, make a video, and sell it?" This may have been said by Brian. Maybe Genni said it. It does sound like a mutual consent between two adults. They probably split the money. However, until all the facts are known, we should not judge the intent.Please don't think long haired ladies want to make war on shorter haired ladies. We have spent many years working on our hair, and are not ready to give it up yet. Some of us do, in time decide a different style is what we want, and cut it. Sometimes, we love our new style. Sometimes, we realize our mistake. Sometimes we say things we regret later. Please forgive us.
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:24pm
But as JK said, often people will accuse the site of being only friendly to long-haired people, and others will vehemently deny it. He was just pointing to the reason some people may get that impression, and he's right! There were some very nasty comments. Can you imagine if someone announced that she grew her hair several feet long for a drastic change from several years ago and everyone said how awful she looked in long hair!? No, I can't either. {grin}
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:24pm
> But as JK said, often people will accuse the site of> being only friendly to long-haired people, and others> will vehemently deny it. He was just pointing to the> reason some people may get that impression, and he's> right!Jena I really am not impress that Jerky Flea started a thread on a man that didn't respect the wishes of this web site.Jena people could also easily say that there was also some very nasty comments made about long hair people as you know when I and others confronted some degrading issues etc.No Jena , Jerky flea just didn't point out that reason , he brought forward a group of people to be nail to a cross for their words their choose and not only that . I stand firmly on the ground with this issue . He was very wrong to do so as it does not create peace. Heck how many times do we have to hit our head to learn this is very wrong?It has nothing to do with long hair vs short hair and it pains me to see that some of my friends including you are fighting and insulting each other because of the whole stupid issue base on a man that didn't respect the wishes of the web site and brought allow his stupid pictures and got a lot of people upset. ( Diane)There were some very nasty comments. Can you> imagine if someone announced that she grew her hair> several feet long for a drastic change from several> years ago and everyone said how awful she looked in> long hair!? No, I can't either. {grin}Ya Jena. It happens so many times on this politic board. I am not saying it is right.Lots of hugs for my friend Jena.
Unregistered
Unregistered
>
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:24pm
> Lots of hugs for my friend Jena.You have a heart of gold.Hugs right back to you, dear Lady!Jena
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic