Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Be myself or follow the crowd?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bobbedguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobbedguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Be myself or follow the crowd?
    Posted: February 22 2000 at 11:04am
I have in the past posted messages similar to this but with the recent posts concerning gender and hair, and the fact that I am getting a trim soon, I wanted to once more get ideas from others. I am a 28 year old guy with nice, healthy, thick hair. I have tried many hairstyles and lengths in my time. In all honesty I look like Sergeant Carter from Gomer Pyle with short styles that most guys wear and I am not into the layered fly away look of the medium styles of the 70's. Undecided on what I wanted to do with my hair I consulted my stylist. Knowing that most stylist will suggest some type of short cut for guys and knowing that I look like a pin head with them, I asked her to recommend a style and length that would best fit my features no matter if it were usually considered as a male or female style. Well, she was open and honest (which I really appreciate) and she said that a bob style would best suit me. I was glad to hear that because I am very fond of bob styles. With that said, I started going toward that. Now my hair is cut basically in a layered bob with the sides just below my ears and a little longer in the back and I have been growing out my bangs ( a major hassle). I finally decided that what I really want is a one length bob just below my ears with bangs to my brows. I think that this style would look good on me and my stylist agreed. You probably know the problem with this. Most people consider this as a female style so I get constant pressure to conform to societal norms and get a shorter more masculine cut. Well I think that would make me self concious and I know that I would hate it. Also, I fail to understand why women can have all these short more masculine styles (shorter than many men) and that is alright but guys can't have longer possibly more feminine styles without ridicule and pressure to conform. Anyway, I want to know what you think about this issue. Should I be myself and be happy with the bob style that I really want, or should I conform, get the short cut and be unhappy? What do you think about bobs? For girls only? Why? What about very short cuts should they be for guys only and say that women with short styles are weird and should conform and grow it out?
JerkyFlea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerkyFlea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2000 at 1:06pm

It's really your call.  If you are a stong individual, such as Dave Decker, then you'll be able maintain your style because you like it and feel it looks best on you.  If not, then you may succumb to the comments of those that will give you their opinion whether you want it or not. 

Reality is that the cut you describe, as you recognized in your comments, is rather contrary to the societal norm for men's hairstyles.  Does that make the wrong style for you?  Not at all, but just be aware that others will probably not be as open and accepting of it as you and your stylist are.  Just the way it is, good or bad.

Oh, and based on your description of the style, my first thought wasn't "feminine", but "Prince Valiant", since that's what that particular style used to be (and may still be) referred to as.

Later,

JerkyFlea

3 pm is simultaneously too late and too early to start anything.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2000 at 5:37pm
First, thanks for the nice words, JerkyFlea.

To bobbedguy: You can't change the way others react to choices you make. The only thing you can do (within this context) is to change the way you react to others. What do you do if/when someone criticizes you? Your reaction will affect how that person sees you. Think about it.

Based on the description of the hairstyle you have/want, I was thinking of the term, "Dutch Boy."

Dave
bobbedguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobbedguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2000 at 8:40am
DaveDecker,
No one has really SAID anything to me but I can tell by the looks on their faces that they think it a little strange. Once when I had stopped at a gas station for a coke there was a guy and a girl in talking to the cashier. After I checked out and began exiting the store I saw the girls reflection in the window glass and she was pointing at me and laughing at me behind my back to the cashier. I thought that it was funny because she must have been so closed minded and conservative. I just laughed at her and got a kick out of it. If someone did actually say something to me I would most likely say something like "I am flattered that you noticed but I don't tell you how to wear your hair so don't try to tell me how to wear mine" in a nice tone of course. I would feel flattered that I was noticed even if it was a smart remark or something. It just makes me giggle inside when I think about people that make so much out of a haircut or hairstyle. I would think that people would be more concerned with who a person is and I would also think that they had more serious things to be concerned with than some guys with a bob hairstyle. What are your thoughts?
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2000 at 9:45am
bobbedguy,

I /have/ seen guys pull off this style. People will just assume you're growing it out.

I'd grow out the bangs and leave the back and sides long enough to pull back.

BTW, did you see Tom Cruise in Magnolia?

Ally
bobbedguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobbedguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2000 at 10:24am
Ally,
I have been growing out my bangs and it is a real hassle because I have a short forehead and with the bangs longer they weight more and constantly fall in my face and I really don't have a way to keep them out besides using a can of hairspray (or a barrette which I sometimes use). I am getting a cut today and was seriously thinking about having my bangs cut back. Should I or shouldn't I?
I did see Tom Cruise in that movie. Only thing was usually he had that oily unwashed look that most people tend to think about when they think of a guy with longer hair. I keep mine wahsed and conditioned and clean.
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2000 at 3:40pm
bg,

Growing out bangs is /always/ a nightmare until they reach a certain point. Try to stick it out until you can tuck them behind your ears? Gel helps too.

Ally

P.S. If you KNOW you want them, long-term, and aren't just avoiding the awkward growing-out stage....cut them.

longhair2000 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longhair2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2000 at 11:43pm
bobbedguy,

If there is one thing I've learned throughout my life is that you've got to follow what is true to yourself or you will never be happy. This covers everything, even to the point of a hairstyle selection, and I know that from my current situation. I have succumbed to societal pressure for many years in how I styled my hair. Now, I don't care what other people think because I have over the last year finally started growing my hair long. I get comments both good and bad, but that's the way things go. You can't let other people dictate how you live your life. BUT, you must be prepared to deal with comments, snickers, laughter, etc.,
but you may also get positive responses as well. I've had many of those, mainly from women, because I now have mid shoulder-blade length wavy hair and getting longer and I grew out my bangs until now they're along my jaw line and can be put behind my ears if I desire. I too keep mine shampooed and conditioned as I despise a greasy unkempt look.

Stay strong. You will win in the end.

longhair2000

bobbedguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobbedguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2000 at 8:43am
Ally,
Well I got my haircut yesterday and I love it. I did get my bangs cut back in because I have a short forehead and I think the longer bangs wouldn't look all that good tucked behind my ears. Anyway, my stylist raised the longer length in the back to match the length of the sides which is to the bottom of my ears. She shaved the nape up to the occipital and left the hair above it about 1 inch long so that I can turn it under. As you go up from that point in the back the hair gets longer. I really like it and I think that the bangs look much better on me cut to my eyebrows than long. I love my bob with bangs.
Thanks for your help.
bobbedguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobbedguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2000 at 8:46am
longhair2000,
You are right. Life is too short to not enjoy it and I enjoy it much more with a nice bob hairstyle with bangs. I got it yesterday. I now have a layered bob the bottom of which is at the same length all around just below my ears with bangs to my eyebrows. I love it. Now I want to let the layers grow out while keeping the same overall length.
Thanks for the helpful and insightful advice.
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2000 at 8:48am
bg,

I'm glad you found a look you love, and I admire you for being yourself.

Ally
Cindy C. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cindy C. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2000 at 9:26pm
Cindy C. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cindy C. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2000 at 3:48pm
Hi, I'll try this again. I just wanted to tell you that I knew a bobbedguy many years ago. In a college of 30,000 he was the only one who wore his hair like that that I ever saw. It was his do, he wore it with flair, and didn't care what anyone thought. Now years later, I can't even recall his face but I remember the hair. I say go for it. Cindy
bobbedguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobbedguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2000 at 8:10am
Cindy,
Thanks for the encouragement. Tell me truthfully, what did you think of the bobbedguy that you knew? Did the style fit him? Did it look good? Did it look attractive? I had my hair cut this passt week and I have a bob with long layers (layers from the top are about six inches long)that ends up just below my ears. The back is just a little longer and I have bangs to my brows. I really like it except that I want to let the sides grow a little more to match the length of the back now and I think I want to let the layers grow out too. What do you think?
Cindy C. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cindy C. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2000 at 9:03pm
Hi bobbedguy,
This man I knew had the classic Prince Valiant cut; all one length to the jaw line with straight bangs ending above his brows. No sideburns or other facial hair. I first saw him in an off campus club and was really intrigued by his look. My initial thought was that he belonged to one of the medieval clubs or was in the theatre. I later found out neither was true, he simply liked the style. I liked it alot too. It made him look oldworld and noble somehow (not to mention sexy). But part of "the look" was the confidence with which he wore it. He was the only man I ever knew who wore his hair that way. If you are going for a similar look you must also possess some of the same qualities. Best wishes. I bet you'll look great. Cindy
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longhair2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2000 at 3:31am
bobbedguy,

Sorry to butt in, but asking if this style fits in or looks good to anyone else is only going to cause you grief, unless it's positive. Just do it because it's what you want to do and don't worry about what anyone else thinks. Take the stand and damn the torpedoes (so to speak) and yes, grow the sides out to match (my opinion, cuz you asked).

longhair2000
bobbedguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobbedguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2000 at 9:43am
Cindy,
I do possess the same qualities. I wear my bob with pride and in my job I have to be forcefull and stand strong. I am glad that you liked the style he had and I am going for something similar except that mine won't have that helmet look because I like my hair to move around so not too much hairspray. I think it will be awesome.
bobbedguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobbedguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2000 at 9:58am
longhair2000, you are probably right but I just wanted to get Cindy's opinion. I am going to let the sides get even with the back. It shouldn't take too long. Thanks for your input. It is what I want and I think that it will look great. It looks good now but will be better after layers grow out.
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longhair2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2000 at 2:23am
bobbedguy,

Yeah, I know. I thought about my response right after I sent it that that was what you were after. Anyway, it' going to look great. Best wishes.

longhair2000
Happyblonde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happyblonde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2000 at 7:26am
Hi BobbedGuy,

I have to tell you that I have always liked Sonny Bono's look back when he first got famous. He had a dutch boy haircut and I found it very sexy on him. This cut also sounds like the early Beatles' haircuts. So this has been worn in recent times, not just old world times (not that Cindy C. meant that in a negative way. I didn't take her comment that way, just to be clear). Also, I'm 32, so it's not like I just like these looks because they remind me of when I was young teenager!:) I guess I can safely say I wasn't a teen during these looks.

Happyblonde
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic